Sonic Electronix

Hey everyone, this is my first post in the fourm, i have a question regarding one of my new buids.

Ive been a follower of steve for a long time on youtube, when he first started posting up vids, and i find it great that he now has a fourm, with a bunch of very informative members.

Ok so here i start, i run my own buissness building extreme custom golf carts, up here in ontario canada. It was basicaly a hobby that turned into a very fun side buissness. Whenever i have free time from my automotive engineering course, its golf cart stuff 99% of the time.. LOL im sure there are many on here who can contest to a hobby iddiction. lol

So i have my own personal cart for buissness shows and overall a promotional cart.

started out as a 98 ezgo electric, and over the past 3 years, its has been slowly transformed into a luxury machine. Its got HIDs, 17" rims with low pro continenal tires, a 500 amp performance alltrax speed controller, and a 48v conversion. Ive gps'ed at around 73km/h, but i wont go that fast agian.. LOL its spooky. It still needs a paint job, and i got to tone down that spoiler with some darker colours.

dsc1560xy9.jpg

dsc0152aaaud9.jpg

So what i need help with is this:

The past year ive been contemplating to stretch the cart into a 4 seater, just like the factory shuttle style carts. To do this i am needing to stretch the frame, and to keep it looking as good as original, i ordered an original ezgo seat pod for the center of the cart.

heres what a shuttle looks like

White-Shuttle-01.jpg

Now in this seat pod i wanted to put 2 10" kicker comp vr subs. And i wanted it ported as well. I decied that a reasonable tuning frequency would be around 45-48hz (seeing that its not an enclosed space like an car, the super low hrz wouldnt be felt as much) what do you think would be a good frequency. the main consideration is that, the different Hz, will make the port longer and i have a depth limitation as well

SO i glassed the entire inside of the enclosure and sealed it up good.

dsc0313.jpg

I used a port calulator to see what i needed for 2 ports and length. I found 2 3" round ports that i thought would work good. And installed and pretty much got the rough fabbing done.

dsc08860r.jpg

So after test fitting the subs and firing it up in the house. I have termendous port noize! the frigen ports were gonna like explode.lol . So i think i have overall too small of a port area for these subs. and have a high velocity air problem

The overall area of the box is around 2-2.3 Cubic Feet. (on the small side for these subs)

Now i guess i have to go with a square port in the middle, but i have no clue what would be a good dimension to use, especialy when the longest dimension has to fit through the sub opening. Unless i cut out a larger slow, and recess the port in the front and support it inside.

So i need your help guys, hopefully i can get my cart bangin this winter :yahoo:

Then i can do my custom paint job and have everything done to match at once. And get to the roof. I have a 80" long top that im going to mold and fiberlass the inside, and put 4 kicker 6x9's, head unit, all my switches, and my voltage and amp gauges.

dsc0045qe.jpgfuncart1.jpgdsc1262p.jpgdsc1524croped.jpg

dude, first golf cart is HOT

Thanks man.. she is slowly getting polished up.

So does anyone have any tips as far as rectangular port designs go. i just want to make sure i got some good dimensions to help elimitate that nasty port noize :spiteful:

And what would be the best hz to tune to becuase its not in an enlosed space. ie a car.

Edited by MonsterGolf

Why not a sealed enclosure?

I had thought of doing a sealed enclosure, but i had the feeling that i needed more umph in a specific frequency because the sub was not being used in a closed listening enviroment.

I had built a sealed sub system for one of my older carts, and it just didnt have the low bass that i wish it had.

Once it gets stretched and the roof put on, ive got a special fabric driving enclosure that fits under the roof in a special track system, so you can use it in colder or rany days. I dont know, but it might help with overall bass quality.?

Omg those are TOO sick! man, sound be crazy! got any vids!! and btw where are you in ontario i'm in ottawa

Hey man, thanks. Unfortunetly i dont have any vids yet, when i took those pics using my digi slr, with doesnt record video. i do have a cam corder but it doesnt have a fire wire to transfer to the pc.. so hopefully this summer i can get some vids up. Im part of a golf cart fourm called buggies gone wild, were all us golf cart addicts share all our mods and stuff, and trust me, they been razzin me for vids as well..lol :D some of them were amazed that a electric and do a burnout like that.

Btw im located about 10 min south of barrie, or 30 min north of toronto.

Any suggestions anyone?

Im kinda at a road block here, i just dont know where to start.

I want to try different ports, but these seat pods are a bit pricey to be chopping up and fixing..

Also does anyone have a tuning frequency that they recomend?

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

i personally say glass over the port holes, it requires less power and would sound better, since its such a small box.

kinda off topic, but i want to buy a golf cart, and dont know what i look out for. im trying to find an old beater one, on the cheap. any advice? just a lil toy, maybe put an atv engine and rear end in, just a toy.

any advice friend?

and yeah, that top u talked about would help. so would doors lol.

but with the cart open, ported wont sound very loud. also, shoulda used waterproof drivers, but thats imo.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

I had thought of doing a sealed enclosure, but i had the feeling that i needed more umph in a specific frequency because the sub was not being used in a closed listening enviroment.

I had built a sealed sub system for one of my older carts, and it just didnt have the low bass that i wish it had.

Once it gets stretched and the roof put on, ive got a special fabric driving enclosure that fits under the roof in a special track system, so you can use it in colder or rany days. I dont know, but it might help with overall bass quality.?

Hey man, thanks. Unfortunetly i dont have any vids yet, when i took those pics using my digi slr, with doesnt record video. i do have a cam corder but it doesnt have a fire wire to transfer to the pc.. so hopefully this summer i can get some vids up. Im part of a golf cart fourm called buggies gone wild, were all us golf cart addicts share all our mods and stuff, and trust me, they been razzin me for vids as well..lol :D some of them were amazed that a electric and do a burnout like that.

Btw im located about 10 min south of barrie, or 30 min north of toronto.

Buggies Gone Wild, sweet My '73 Harley is on there somewhere I believe.

Could you not go with bigger round ports for a shorter port length and less port noise?

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!