Second Skin Audio

Box Ideas input please

TeejayBee

So i have two L7 15's now i know about box building and all that but im just making sure with help from guys who know what they are doing. this is my idea.

I want each sub in its own box and im thinking of 4cft for each box and id like it tuned to like 30 hertz but i also want to fiberglass some stuff but i want the boxes made of just wood so i know everything is the right dimensions and tuned right. so i was thinking if i carpet the whole box and resin the front of it and it will harden will it mess with the wood since MDF cant really get wet.. anyhelp ? please

I want each sub in its own box and im thinking of 4cft for each box and id like it tuned to like 30 hertz but i also want to fiberglass some stuff but i want the boxes made of just wood so i know everything is the right dimensions and tuned right. so i was thinking if i carpet the whole box and resin the front of it and it will harden will it mess with the wood since MDF cant really get wet.. anyhelp ? please

The resin is just going to harden up the mdf and make it like a rock... and extra flammable... I took an old homemade box for a 12 when i was younger that was coated in resin... put it on a backyard firepit fire with the peaker cut out facing up, and basically after the fire made its way into the chamber, it was a 10ft pillar of fire!!! stinking sweet!!!

Ride - 2006 Scion xB

Equipment:

H.U. - Kenwood KDC-X793

Amps - Memphis 16-MC2.100

Memphis 16-MC1.1100

Front Stage - Memphis 15-MCC6 6.5 Components with silk dome tweets

Subs - Memphis 15-M310D4 10" Sub (x2)

Custom box 3.02 ft3 after displacement, tuned to 37 hz

Big 3

Second Skin Damplifier

Coming soon:

Kinetik HC1400

H.O. Alt

AudioControl three.1

First, I don't think you want to put them in separate ported chambers. The dividers between the chambers will eat up space and make for different tuning frequencies if you're not careful with the volume and ports.

I would say acoustically couple them in a common chamber braced as stiffly as possible. Just figure out your port and volume and you're set.

Well the reason im putting then in two boxes is because one is going right behind my driver seat and the other is going be in the back of my blazer and i planned on fiberglassing from one sub to the other but whats with telling me it will catch fire lol i dont want to hear that? i just want that shinny look so i can paint it lol

I would normally tell you to build something like a tapered horn, but them do take up a ton of space, specially if you've got some 15s.

I'd say around 8-10 cube, common air space, 2 6" radial ports tuned to 34hz, I dunno, I like that powerful kick you get from that tuning.

if your not the kind of guy that likes circular ports, build a slot port thats about 6" wide and goes from the bottom to the top of the enclosure, (16~18, or less if your putting the subs on top), put it anywhere you like, I would go center for two subs and have the boxes seprated via a divider in the port (of course making sure length is right for the seperate boxes, not just throwing a piece of wood in the middle of the port)

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

Well sniper i wish i could understand some of that stuff but i saw some member who had a sick ass build with two round ports one on each side but like i said each sub is going in its own box b.c one is in the back of the car and other is behind my driver seat.

Archived