Mosin Posted November 1, 2009 Report Posted November 1, 2009 So awhile ago i dropped a sub... I had it power mounted with sub facing up and port back in my caved out S-10 and I forgot to bolt box down which in turn made it top heavy. Took a turn too sharply and sub tipped over with box. The subs motor structure impacted the amplifier I had powering it at the time. I pulled over checked the damage and I was rushing and thought the subs wiring came unhooked. Drove to my destination and checked wiring. It was all hooked up right still. I felt sub, gave a little push and it was "stiff"... When the woofer dropped it was on and playing at a very low volume. Amp still works great just the woofer is dead. What happened when it fell so the cone is stiff? It's like the coil melted but I never dissected woofer. Oh, woofer is/was a 15" Kicker L7 D4. Derp.
Guest Posted November 1, 2009 Report Posted November 1, 2009 shifted motor causing coil to lock in place, coil jumped the gap and is off center, coil is jammed against the inside of the motor, causing it to bend and lock. 3 possibilities there.
Mosin Posted November 1, 2009 Author Report Posted November 1, 2009 Soo...... Within either of the 3 possibilites you listed, the woofer is still fucked right? I wanna rip into it if it is. Derp.
Guest Posted November 1, 2009 Report Posted November 1, 2009 Soo......Within either of the 3 possibilites you listed, the woofer is still fucked right? I wanna rip into it if it is. take the woofer out and visually inspect it edit: if the coil jumped the gap i think alls you have to do is just move it over back into the motor. but the other 2 its fucked.
treossi Posted November 1, 2009 Report Posted November 1, 2009 you'll probably need a new motor and new recone Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details
Guest Posted November 1, 2009 Report Posted November 1, 2009 kicker doesnt even do recones. they just send you a brand new woofer if you send it in.
Mosin Posted November 1, 2009 Author Report Posted November 1, 2009 How do I check if it just jumped the gap or whatever? If it did do this how do I move it back over? Derp.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.