Sundown Audio

how in gods name is jacob only get 1ohm rise in his testing? im not calling him out, i want to know the secret. i just got a clamp meter and my impedance was 12.5! i have 2 saz-1500's strapped at 2.5ohm. tested at 45hz. gain set with an o-scope. my box is 5^ft, two 6" flared ports tuned to 39hz.

115.8volts/9.2amps = 12.5

115.8 x 115.8 = 13409.64/12.5 = 1072.77

obviously im very disapointed that my two 1500w amps are only doing a little over 500w each. so what can i do to lower my imp rise? im sure a new box would be in order but maybe there are some little things i can do to mine to help? im ready to improve my knowledge guys. teach me all you can. :friends:

i put it in the first post guys lol

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

My first concern is how you have a 2.5 ohm load?

Do you possibly have a dead coil and or a coil that is not making a great connection? Maybe your solder failed? :P

What ohm coils do you have?

Also how do you have your speakers wired? Series, parallel, or a combo of both?

Are you running a pos and neg from each coil to your amps?

Do you have your coils wired together at the sub and then just one set of speaker wires per sub going to the amp?

Do you have both subs wired together inside the box and then just 1 set of speaker wires going to the amp?

Did you try unstrapping your amps and running 1 sub per amp to see if you would have less rise?

Your asking for ideas, so im just shooting some out there.

ah yes, detailed questions. i love it.

they are 2ohm coils, series/parallel, one + and one - from each sub is running to the amps. so every terminal on the amp is being used.

i did not try unstrapping them. i only tested them 5 min b4 posting this thread and didnt have time to do any more testing yet.

ah ha. i can just keep my pretty box and replace my solder joints with wire nuts! its so simple!! lol :friends: . if only i were lucky enough for it to be that simple. although i do have a lot of solder joints... i was running out of 8awg so i connected a few smaller pieces together.

any more info i can give to help?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

i think its the tuning. I use a dayton wt3 subwoofer tester for my imp rise and i always get a peak a little above where my box is tuned.

but from what others have said on here its the opposite...?

ah yes, detailed questions. i love it.

they are 2ohm coils, series/parallel, one + and one - from each sub is running to the amps. so every terminal on the amp is being used.

i did not try unstrapping them. i only tested them 5 min b4 posting this thread and didnt have time to do any more testing yet.

ah ha. i can just keep my pretty box and replace my solder joints with wire nuts! its so simple!! lol :friends: . if only i were lucky enough for it to be that simple. although i do have a lot of solder joints... i was running out of 8awg so i connected a few smaller pieces together.

time to hit up darvex. I had 50 ft of 8 gauge kicker i tried to use last wednesday but it was cut up for a previous install. I just put the install on hold and ordered another 50 ft of it. luckily it only takes like a day for things from darvex to get to me.

i think its the tuning. I use a dayton wt3 subwoofer tester for my imp rise and i always get a peak a little above where my box is tuned.

but from what others have said on here its the opposite...?

ya, im confused on this too. some say smaller box, some say bigger. but it just goes to show you, the info im looking for is info other people need as well.

if only i were lucky enough for it to be that simple. although i do have a lot of solder joints... i was running out of 8awg so i connected a few smaller pieces together.

Im thinking this maybe part of your problem. With your stereo off, your coils should read a flat 2 ohm. You shouldnt have .5 ohms of resistance thru the wire, unless it is horribly small gauged wire or it is uber long. But if it is all 8awg wire it shouldnt have any side effect.

Dcr of a coil shouldnt change much at all if at any with proper wiring. Id really suggust trying to hunt down that other .5 ohms of rise that shouldnt be there (id start by checking your solder joints). :)

If your using bolts as speaker connectors on your box, Id strongly suggust making sure those are tight as can be and hopefully stainless steel is being use for said hardware. Anything else will corrode over time which will cause a resistive connection and possibly lead to that extra .5ohms

If your feeling ambitious enough, a simple way to see if a bigger box would improve your impedance rise is to invert your woofers if it can be done in your setup.

time to hit up darvex. I had 50 ft of 8 gauge kicker i tried to use last wednesday but it was cut up for a previous install. I just put the install on hold and ordered another 50 ft of it. luckily it only takes like a day for things from darvex to get to me.

ive got a local shop i can buy 8awg from. i just dont want to buy anything other than gas and food till i get a job. that would be crazy if the solder joints were the problem.

bangin caddy would never let me hear the end of it. lol

Im thinking this maybe part of your problem. With your stereo off, your coils should read a flat 2 ohm. You shouldnt have .5 ohms of resistance thru the wire, unless it is horribly small gauged wire or it is uber long. But if it is all 8awg wire it shouldnt have any side effect.

Dcr of a coil shouldnt change much at all if at any with proper wiring. Id really suggust trying to hunt down that other .5 ohms of rise that shouldnt be there (id start by checking your solder joints). :)

If your using bolts as speaker connectors on your box, Id strongly suggust making sure those are tight as can be and hopefully stainless steel is being use for said hardware. Anything else will corrode over time which will cause a resistive connection and possibly lead to that extra .5ohms

If your feeling ambitious enough, a simple way to see if a bigger box would improve your impedance rise is to invert your woofers if it can be done in your setup.

ill see about testing the wires.

what would i see by inverting the subs? just a little change or a big one?

im not using bolts. the wires come straight out of the box and into the amps. i did notice 2 pieces of 8awg were turning green at the amp. fuck stinger...