Second Skin Audio

sub smells

So I got just a little worried when i smelled something like burning electrical. It was very faint I mean could barely smell it but still I shut off my system i felt my dust cap and it was barely a little bit warm the sub is brand new I was not playing it at full tilt I just wanted to know if Im being a little paranoid? I set my gain and and bass correctly my amp does not say im clippin nor am is my amp seeing low voltage. Im running whats in my sig except just 1 sub and 1 amp currently til my bags come in... Sorry couldnt turn my system on right now its early and my wife is sleepin.

steven.jpg

Nice car.but i think your a lil paranoid if your sub is new then i think its the glue that they use so .

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

So I got just a little worried when i smelled something like burning electrical. It was very faint I mean could barely smell it but still I shut off my system i felt my dust cap and it was barely a little bit warm the sub is brand new I was not playing it at full tilt I just wanted to know if Im being a little paranoid? I set my gain and and bass correctly my amp does not say im clippin nor am is my amp seeing low voltage. Im running whats in my sig except just 1 sub and 1 amp currently til my bags come in... Sorry couldnt turn my system on right now its early and my wife is sleepin.

if i remember correctly if the sub is brand new its common to smell that, its excess glue on the woofer heating up just be easy on the volume

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

IDK but it sounds like your just warming up the glue (breaking them in).

Maybe im wrong but thats what I think.

:ph34r: They beat me. ^^

Edited by brsteinbach

2 Infinity Reference 1252w 12s

4.2 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz

Sub amp: 1 Profile AP1200

Speaker amp: 1 Sony Xplod XM-504z

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

f05112e8-c6ca-4f78-9a8d-47be99303c8b_zps

Diamonds are forever, but 9's end that shit fast....

thanks guys..... Ya I figured it could be the glue but still I wanted to post it and get some expert opinions cuz I dont feel like fucking these subs up that fast. anyway starting my build log for 2 of the btls tomorrow so be on the look out

steven.jpg

IDK but it sounds like your just warming up the glue (breaking them in).

Maybe im wrong but thats what I think.

:ph34r: They beat me. ^^

x2 I was told the same thing after i was wang'n mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Powerbassbanner.jpg

DCbanner.jpg

groundpounders-sig-1.jpg

153.3 @ Turkey Drag 2009

Spl Modified 1001-2000 - Derrick Jones my alias... Wudn't accept DEEz NUTz !!!

• 2 weeks later...

i know a guy thats pushing 1500 rms to a 1000 rms pioneer 12. it's broken in now but he hammers it and it will stink . My old kicker cvr's used to stink like crazy 600 rms. Upgraded to cvx's 1000 rms, haven't smelt them yet. so i don't know if it will go away.

Edited by rust1d

It's a different smell... glue heating up is almost sickly smelling, burning coil is quite a bitter smell, it's the enamel on the coil wires getting too hot. Once you've smelt it once you can ALWAYS recognize it in future, haha. Maybe part of everyone's audio education should be smoking a cheap woofer so they know what burnt enamel smells like...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!