Sonic Electronix

Today I took out my crappy cracked dash of my tahoe and replaced it with a newer 98 style. I disconnected the battery, unplugged all the harnesses (lights, switches, thermostat, etc) and removed the dash. The only thing I removed from the system was the iva-d901 and rux-c701 faces. Both "brains" sit under my drivers seat. Hooked everything back up.....NO illumination, NO screen display, NO power but, the screen opens and closes and beeps. I've already traced all wires to make sure they are not hung up or spliced by a sharp edge during dash installation. I rechecked all the ground wires from when I had to disconnect them to take the dash out. HELP, please!

Edit: I checked the fuses, all were good. I disconnected the face and reattached it and now Illumination comes on for a second, then I here the relay for the capicator "click" and repeats every few seconds "on/off/on/off".

Edited by ls1king000

1996 Tahoe 2dr

Alpine IVA-D901 - Alpine PXA-H701 - Alpine RUX-C701

200 amp alternator - Yellow Top - Alumapro 15 farad cap

T1000-4

(2)MB Q-forms 6.5

FOR SALE AA 18" Mayhem / T2500-1bd FOR SALE

2000 Camaro SS - UNDER THE KNIFE

Twin Turbo - 6 speed - 9 sec with a/c

http://www.fquick.com/LS1king000

Lazy Saturday. I grabbed my multimeter and only have 9.3-9.4V max. Time to replace these shitty energizer batteries with some XS power :ph34r:

Edited by ls1king000

1996 Tahoe 2dr

T1000-4

(2)MB Q-forms 6.5

Dang it!!!! I replaced the battery yesterday (lazy sunday). Everything was working fine. Played a few tunes and drove around a bit last night. Then this morning, it was hard to start but, did. After it started, idle was rough. Then rougher, then it was dead. Now, I can get it started but once it's running the idle drops down and it dies. Alternator right? Well I took my 200amp load boss to have it tested and it turned out @ 195 amps so, it should be good. What the hell could be wrong with this thing? New battery, alternator is good.....what should I look for next? I'm lost. And confused.

1996 Tahoe 2dr

T1000-4

(2)MB Q-forms 6.5

OKay, I let the batt charge until 10.5v or more....starts....idles screams the rpm's.....drove it. As I drive it....slower and slower acceleration. Then back to 9.5V...and dies. Has to be the alternator, no!?!?! I'm no expert and really cannot afford a mechanic right now. I have lots of tools and I learn fast....anybody please help.

1996 Tahoe 2dr

T1000-4

(2)MB Q-forms 6.5

that does sound like your alt but if its seeing a load maybe you have a loose connection to your batteries.do you have anyother batteries besides the one in front?

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

OKay, I let the batt charge until 10.5v or more....starts....idles screams the rpm's.....drove it. As I drive it....slower and slower acceleration. Then back to 9.5V...and dies. Has to be the alternator, no!?!?! I'm no expert and really cannot afford a mechanic right now. I have lots of tools and I learn fast....anybody please help.

Take your multimeter, with the engine running at idle, connect the negative lead to ground and your positive lead to the Alternators Positive output, what do you get? Then do the same measurement at about 2000 engine rpms. If you have low voltage at idle and normal charging voltage at 2000 rpms, your Alternator is not charging at idle or low rpms. Something to try....

Edited by bobonit

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

I have a small second battery but, I disconnected it temporarily until this is figured out. One battery. My stereo is off, all accessories are off. Connections are good. I even replaced alt. to batt. terminals and wire because it was looking a little shady.

I've heard some bad things about my alternator company (loadboss or alterstart) but, it has served me well pounding for 14 months.

1996 Tahoe 2dr

T1000-4

(2)MB Q-forms 6.5

Take your multimeter, with the engine running at idle, connect the negative lead to ground and your positive lead to the Alternators Positive output, what do you get? Then do the same measurement at about 2000 engine rpms. If you have low voltage at idle and normal charging voltage at 2000 rpms, your Alternator is not charging at idle or low rpms. Something to try....

I will try. My battery jumper is charging right now. I did however do a +alt. -ground (chassis) test and it was EXACTLY the same voltage. I'll see what it reads at 2000rpm. Thanks.

1996 Tahoe 2dr

T1000-4

(2)MB Q-forms 6.5

I went to Advanced, Auto-zone and Dipatch.....passed all tests. So, again I put back the alt with batteries fully charged. It started with a slight hesitation but, did start. I run up front to get a reading on the battery, it already reads 10.5 then 10.2 then 9.8 then 9.5 and then it dies rather quickly. Much faster than yesterday.

I can't even get a chance to rev 2000rpm before it dies.

1996 Tahoe 2dr

T1000-4

(2)MB Q-forms 6.5

its possible your alt is ok but your battery killed a few cells which wont allow it to take a charge. did you try a different battery up front? sorry if i missed it.

edit just read through that its a new battery, you sure you have all your alt wires hooked up?

I went to Advanced, Auto-zone and Dipatch.....passed all tests. So, again I put back the alt with batteries fully charged. It started with a slight hesitation but, did start. I run up front to get a reading on the battery, it already reads 10.5 then 10.2 then 9.8 then 9.5 and then it dies rather quickly. Much faster than yesterday.

I can't even get a chance to rev 2000rpm before it dies.

Edited by yoda132

99 suburban

20" boss motorsport wheels

big 3 installed (thanks Iraggi)

alpine 9886 deck

kenwood 11 band eq

fosgate t5002 amp running sub

kenwood ps200 amp running components

jl xr components in front doors

jl xr 6.5 in rear doors

jl in rear roof

1 FI Q 18" with bp