Second Skin Audio

port area

how does port area effect the performance of the box?

looking at doing 2 18 btls in about a 12.5 or 13cuft box...just wondering where the sweet spot is for port area at 34 hz

4 - 15 Sundown Z v.2 @ 35Hz

2 - AP3000D

2 - RF Power Punch 6.5 Comps

2 - RF Power Power

1 - Kinetic KHC2000

3 - Kinetic KHC2400

Iraggi 300A

Knu Wiring

how does port area effect the performance of the box?

looking at doing 2 18 btls in about a 12.5 or 13cuft box...just wondering where the sweet spot is for port area at 34 hz

Generally for slot ports you want between 12-16 square inches of port per cubic foot, and if using Aero ports you can do a bit less at about 9-12 inches of port per cubic foot.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Generally for slot ports you want between 12-16 square inches of port per cubic foot, and if using Aero ports you can do a bit less at about 9-12 inches of port per cubic foot.

slot port is like steves?

or is that the same as the L port?

2 - AP3000D

2 - RF Power Power

1 - Kinetic KHC2000

3 - Kinetic KHC2400

Iraggi 300A

Knu Wiring

slot port is like steves?

or is that the same as the L port?

Yes and Yes,

Any square/rectagular port is considered a slot port.

For you, you would probably want something around 182 square inches of port for 13cubic foot box.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Yes and Yes,

For you, you would probably want something around 182 square inches of port for 13cubic foot box.

awesome. thankx man

2 - AP3000D

2 - RF Power Power

1 - Kinetic KHC2000

3 - Kinetic KHC2400

Iraggi 300A

Knu Wiring

Yes and Yes,

one more thing...if i were to do the L shaped port..how would i go about doing that...the area has to be even throughout the port right? and how does length factor in with that?

2 - AP3000D

2 - RF Power Power

1 - Kinetic KHC2000

3 - Kinetic KHC2400

Iraggi 300A

Knu Wiring

one more thing...if i were to do the L shaped port..how would i go about doing that...the area has to be even throughout the port right? and how does length factor in with that?

yes the are of the port has to be the same through the whole port. to get the correct length on an L shaped port you would measure how deep you can go with it and then subtract half of the width of the port and then turn and do the rest of the port to the side but again you half to subtract half of the width. so if you had a port that was 4" by 12" by 20" and your box was only 12" deep you would measure back 10" and then make your turn and measure from the center of the port over for the remaining 10". you basically just need to measure down the center of the port to get an accurate length. hopefully that makes sense to you and if not i think kicker has a section on there web site that explains it a little better with a picture

If you plan on using a lot of power (BTLs) you shouldn't use L-shaped ports at all. The reason for this is that, at higher port pressure/velocity that comes with extreme power, it is simply too hard for the air to move around that 90 degree bend. Imagine water trying to vibrate back and forth around a 90 degree bend. It will play, of course; but you will sacrifice efficiency over a straight(er) port. Try to use a true 45 if you must bend the port.

As far as port shapes go, a round port is more efficient than one with corners (square, rectangle, etc.) because it has less internal surface area than a 4-sided port of the same area. This means less friction (heat) that your subs have to overcome. For similar reasons, a square port is better than a rectangular one because it has less internal surface area. If you have to use a 4-sided port, try and make it a square as opposed to a slot/retangle.

Hope this helps you. :hairtrick: