Sonic Electronix

To put it simple, a passive radiator has the same function as a port. Pr's are usually used where space is a big concern, or when trying to tune a small enclosure to a low fs. A box designed to use pr's can be much smaller then a ported box for the same woofer, and have similar output levels. Also most pr's are tunable, by adding or subtracting mass from the cone, you can change the tuning fq. of the box.

Just as a really generic example, let's say you have a woofer that calls for a 1cuft sealed box, or a 2cuft ported box. Obviously the ported box would be louder, but let's say you don't have room for a 2cuft box. You could build a 1cuft sealed box, put a passive radiator in it and get very similar performance to the ported box.

'05 escalade - now for sale :(

'96 civic hatch - 4 Sundown SA-8's on an Aq2200d

TL numbers coming soon

'00 suburban - 4 AQ sdc2.5 15's on 2 Aq2200d's

153.1db @ 40hz / 150+db on music

now retired

Ya. DBmaster is right. It makes the sub feel like it is ported but is actually sealed. This takes away unwanted port noise, Which gives you clean bass. I actually made a passive radiator box. It used 2 12" Jl Audio subs and pushed a passive radiator i made myself out of a freinds blown JL W6 18". It was pretty sweet looking.

Archived