Wiring Multiple Alternators to Multiple Batteries

Hey y'all! I just got my three HO alternators from Iraggi Alternators this evening and before I get them installed I'm reviewing my wiring plans. Since I have a reasonable doubt, I thought I'd run it by you! I have two possibilities in mind, here is the diagram:

Wiring.jpg

The Black 'wire' is ground, and the Red / Green wires are Possibility #1 / #2 respectively. A key note here is that those batteries at the bottom of the picture are in the back of my truck, a good 7 or 8 feet of wire away from the front battery and alternators. I have an excessive amount of 1/0 AWG wire (160 ft) so I'm not worried about cost of one over the other, just giving my system everything I never had when I was a kid... I mean, everything it wants. :pardon:

The key difference between these two possibilities (and I welcome any and all suggestions, ideas, weather forecasts, whatever!) is that possibility #1 has all the alternators connected directly to the front battery, then multiple (probably five total) 0 gauge wire running from that front battery (HC-1200) to the rear battery bus bars in the back (HC-3800's), though this would cause serious wire clutter in the engine compartment, and possibility #2 has the two 300 amp alternators skipping the front battery completely, going straight to the rear batteries, and only the 220 amp alternator 'directly' charging the front battery, before moving to the back, avoiding the extreme clutter.

I'm just not sure which would be more efficient, both for my amplifier (pictures of my Kicker Warhorse!) and my batteries. Thanks for your time!

Chris

My suggestion right off the bat to clean up the clutter you're worried about is just to machine sum custom terminals out of solid aluminum or copper. Just take sum measurements and have a local machine shop do it for you if you don't have the tools/capabilities to do so.

As far as wiring is concerned I'd suggest #2 as it would avoid just directly charge the batts in back themselves. The length of the run on #2(you mentioned 7-8ft)isn't too long but I'd still suggest doing either a run of 2/0 or dual 1/0 runs to the back batts.

Btw how many 3800s do u have to back up the Warhorse?? and what is the rest of the setup that you'll be running??

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

I'd say V1

x2 on this

it will be easy 2 do

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

Cool thanks for your input :D I'm leaning towards #1 myself, and that's a good idea to have custom terminals machined! Keep the ideas coming :D

EDIT: I'm running 3x 3800's in the back, but I'm thinking of buying another, not sure. I'll be running 4x RE XXX 15's on the Warhorse in a fiberglass'd enclosure made to fit in my Honda Ridgeline (if my fab skills can keep up with my imagination, I think it'll be badass!) and after the bass is taken care of I'll be buying 2x Kicker ZX850.4's to run 4 pairs of RE XXX Comps. Trying to keep the brands the same just for my peace of mind!

How much wattage are you running? Mainly on your subs..

Depending on the above I would wire like this...

There are many different ways but i would wire it this way...

1. All 3 alts to front battery positive terminal. (1 run of 1/0g per alt)

2. All 3 alts to frame for ground. (1 run of 1/0g per alt)

3. Rear batts to frame for ground.

4. Power and ground for amps to rear batts

You can run power and ground from alts straight to the back but your lights will dim like crazy unless you also run larger wire to the front battery.

How much wattage are you running? Mainly on your subs..

10,000 W RMS for the 4 subs, another 1700 W RMS for comps = 11700 W total.

Depending on the above I would wire like this...

There are many different ways but i would wire it this way...

1. All 3 alts to front battery positive terminal. (1 run of 1/0g per alt)

2. All 3 alts to frame for ground. (1 run of 1/0g per alt)

3. Rear batts to frame for ground.

4. Power and ground for amps to rear batts

You can run power and ground from alts straight to the back but your lights will dim like crazy unless you also run larger wire to the front battery.

Hmm... so no direct ground wire from alts to front battery? And would 1 run of 1/0 be enough for each 300 amp alt? Would it hurt rather then help if I doubled up on the 1/0? I don't want to throttle those alts in any way :D

If you need anything machined let me know.

Just give me a drawing..

Thanks I'll keep that in mind!

Oh ya... the 4th alt is for mockup so you dont damage the other 3. You can take the 4 bolts out and rotate the back housing on the mockup alt. The other 3 alts are all clocked differently to make it easier to mount them. :)

I was wondering about that!! Excellent idea though, that blue finish is just be-a-utiful! I'm not going to be able to install them for about 2 weeks though cause of this school the Army's got me in... :(

Archived