Clipping picture?

ur gettin all electrial engineer on me...lol

anyways...good read here

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

That website says this at one part of it

"If the speakers can handle 3 or 4 times the power that your amplifier can produce, there's virtually no way to damage your speakers (no matter how clipped the signal is)."

Is that really true?

Edited by kl0wn

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

That website says this at one part of it

"If the speakers can handle 3 or 4 times the power that your amplifier can produce, there's virtually no way to damage your speakers (no matter how clipped the signal is)."

Is that really true?

everybody has their opinion on clipped signals...

but in MY opinion i agree with that statement

if your running a 200watt amp to a nightshade for example...i dont think any amount of clipping will damage it...but if u run its rated rms i think there is def a potential for damage..

i likes me some audio stuff...

everybody has their opinion on clipped signals...

but in MY opinion i agree with that statement

if your running a 200watt amp to a nightshade for example...i dont think any amount of clipping will damage it...but if u run its rated rms i think there is def a potential for damage..

Well I can see it with a 200watt amp and a nightshade, I wasn't thinking of that big of a difference haha. I believe that clipped songs and clipped amp are different like treo said. I believe it's a lot worse to have a clipped amp playing at full tilt, then a song that is clipped a little playing at full tilt. But, that is just my opinion.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

bigger woofers have more advanced cooling capabilities and better heat handling coils

so i think it is very possible to clip the hell out of a woofer as long as it can

a) take the heat and keep on truckin or

b ) dissipate the heat through awesome cooling

so yes as long as the coil can take the heat the current will produce they can goall day on clipped power. and sound like ass the whole time

Edited by IH8PunkRok

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Well I can see it with a 200watt amp and a nightshade, I wasn't thinking of that big of a difference haha. I believe that clipped songs and clipped amp are different like treo said. I believe it's a lot worse to have a clipped amp playing at full tilt, then a song that is clipped a little playing at full tilt. But, that is just my opinion.

a clipped song will cause a clipped amp

because the amp sees the signal and makes it louder

however i think you are right because a clipped amp will clip everything whereas if the amp is set cleanly and there is a clipped section the clippin ill only last that long

so yea clipped song is a little better than a clipped amp unless the whole song is clipped

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

basically it works like this. since i researched this for a while when i was figuring out how the hell i blew my last system. when you clip an amp it sends a clipped signal to the sub and the exact thing happens when you clip a song. the only major difference is usually songs aren't clipped throughout the entire track on the other hand if your clipping your amp bad then its sending a constant clipped signal to the woofer which = major damage. i mean ive seen some serioously bad clipped songs that will make your shit so stinky just look at what your playing before you play it itll save you some money :) i cant imagine how bad a badlyclipped song+badlyclipped amp would be lol

Edited by Steph3n1

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

basically it works like this. since i researched this for a while when i was figuring out how the hell i blew my last system. when you clip an amp it sends a clipped signal to the sub and the exact thing happens when you clip a song. the only major difference is usually songs aren't clipped throughout the entire track on the other hand if your clipping your amp bad then its sending a constant clipped signal to the woofer which = major damage. i mean ive seen some serioously bad clipped songs that will make your shit so stinky just look at what your playing before you play it itll save you some money :) i cant imagine how bad a badlyclipped song+badlyclipped amp would be lol

Talking about a constant clipped signal, I had a small conversation with DJ from AQ asking him exactly how the clipping light on the bass knob worked, and why the light would get brighter at times, and what exactly it all meant. Maybe some of it can explain a little bit of this clipping stuff, definitely if you are running an AQ amp. This is quoted directly to what he replied to me with.

"The more you turn the volume up on your HU the more power the amp is going to require from your electrical system and the more power it will produce.

The clipping indicator is very accurate and will let you know when you are begining or approaching the clipping threshold; the intensity of the led will increase the closer you get. When the led is flashing you are actually into slight clipping for a very short duration on certain frequencies but it is not constant and the signal for the most part is clean and will not be a square wave. When the light glows solid it's time to back it down because the amp is clipping constantly on all frequencies and producing square waves. If the light just flashes when the frequencies in the music change it's ok."

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Talking about a constant clipped signal, I had a small conversation with DJ from AQ asking him exactly how the clipping light on the bass knob worked, and why the light would get brighter at times, and what exactly it all meant. Maybe some of it can explain a little bit of this clipping stuff, definitely if you are running an AQ amp. This is quoted directly to what he replied to me with.

"The more you turn the volume up on your HU the more power the amp is going to require from your electrical system and the more power it will produce.

The clipping indicator is very accurate and will let you know when you are begining or approaching the clipping threshold; the intensity of the led will increase the closer you get. When the led is flashing you are actually into slight clipping for a very short duration on certain frequencies but it is not constant and the signal for the most part is clean and will not be a square wave. When the light glows solid it's time to back it down because the amp is clipping constantly on all frequencies and producing square waves. If the light just flashes when the frequencies in the music change it's ok."

yup i wish i had that on my sundown :/ still a baddass amp tho :)

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)