Second Skin Audio

Recone Type R

My friend burned up a Alpine SWR-1222 and just gave it to me. I took it apart just to look at it. The coil is shot, but I want to know if there is any way I can get a new coil for it. I know it'll probably be real hard to build my own. What can I do to bring this back to life? It would be cool to just have around for fun.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

forevrbumpn used to have type r coils back when he was sellin coils look him up

Cool, thanks.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Pretty much pointless to recone $100 woofer.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

Im reconing a Type R now, but the recone kit I got used different spiders, and a coil about 1/8th to short to actually do a good glue bead, and keep the coil gap height right,

so Iam changing the frame out. When done, it will be better than a $100 woofer. This Type R Im working on will have a common 12 spoke, 12" frame, and look cooler, and more functional than the factory design. I will post a pic tomorrow when Im done

back to work now...

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Im reconing a Type R now, but the recone kit I got used different spiders, and a coil about 1/8th to short to actually do a good glue bead, and keep the coil gap height right,

so Iam changing the frame out. When done, it will be better than a $100 woofer. This Type R Im working on will have a common 12 spoke, 12" frame, and look cooler, and more functional than the factory design. I will post a pic tomorrow when Im done

back to work now...

I'm excited to see how this looks and the functionality of it over the OEM design. I'm always wanted to do some sort of a franken woofer using my blown 15" R I have... Do they use standard coil sizes and are u having to tap holes to fit the 12 spoke on??

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

I'm excited to see how this looks and the functionality of it over the OEM design. I'm always wanted to do some sort of a franken woofer using my blown 15" R I have... Do they use standard coil sizes and are u having to tap holes to fit the 12 spoke on??

But that would be useless...

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

But that would be useless...
Haha Sorry marlo, but he does have a point. You ended up contradicting your first statement. ;)

What I mean was.... It's not pointless to use the motor in a different design but to recone the actual woofer using the original basket + OEM recone itself IMO would be pointless. You're gonna spend at least $100 for the recone, then factor in glue, labor, etc and it will cost much more than a new woofer would.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

I will take pics when I get home, 530am, and Im still at the office

I just swapped out the frame, and used a tighter spider

This is the Type R 12" coil is a undersized 2"- 1.94" to be exact, and the damn 15" is a hard as hell to find 2.582" coil

Why cant they stay standard?

The type R 12" motor sucks balls, it had a 5 hole pattern, and I needed to use my router to notch out the frame I used so that the 5 hole pattern would catch on to the frame, and lock in place, over drilling thru the frame with a new set of holes- couldnt work due to the hole pattern being like 4" on the motor, and the 4" opening on the frame- wasnt that easy of a mock up

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.