NSPL help

I need to get more info on NSPL. Not sure about the rules and requirements and which class I would end up in. I also dont want to install a bunch of stuff that would disqualify me from a class that I might otherwise be eligible for.

Truck is a Silverado EX cab.

I have 4 runs of 0gauge to the rear. One from the front + to the rear bank +. One from the front - to the rear bank -. The last 2 will be for + runs from the 2nd and 3rd alt to the rear batteries. From what I have been able to find out I can only have 3 rear batteries. Is that right? Can I have more batteries back there but only use 3 at a comp? Any restrictions about multiple alts?

I will have 6000-8000 watts for my subs. Nothing is installed yet so I have no idea what the clamped power will wind up.

Still deciding between 2 18" subs or 4 15" subs. Room will be tight for either back there. Trying to keep this all under the window line.

I have most of my funds no so im itching to get the rest of my gear. I will be calling Dominic and DC power to see how much damage a triple alt setup will do to my funds. Want to get 2 new alts and run my stocker as the 3rd until I can afford a new matching alt.

Still waiting to find out about my amps, considering upgrading and taking a hit for 2 D5's.

Based on the info you've given here I would say that you would either be in Truck/Suv 3601-Up or possibly one of the no wall classes depending on how many subs you end up with. The only reason I'm not sure about the Truck/Suv class is because of the 4 runs, I know that you will only have 3 power runs but I'm not sure if Fred will count the 1 negative run as allowed for the class or not. I will check into it for you since I need to do the same thing for my car and I'm only allowed 3 runs of 0 guage as well.

You are allowed multiple alts as long as you operate on 12 volts in this class, if you ran no wall you'd be able to run a 16 volt setup. Here's the nice part for you that I'm sure you didn't know about. In NSPL to compete in any of the consumer classes such as beginer, trunk, car, and truck/suv you are allowed to build the box over the window line. The rule for NSPL is that the box must be at least 12" away from the highest part of your roof to not be classified as a wall. For example since I have a small hatchback and the height of the car is only 19 or so inches in the hatch but only a realistic 15" at top and 18" at bottom deep I would normally be limited to running a very small box with a single sub. This is actually what I do with a single 15, but I used to run two tuned to 37hz and the box was 12" away from the roof so I was legal for the class. Let this little bit of info help you when building or deciding how many subs to go with.

As far as I know you can also use as much deadener as you wish, but there is such a thing as too much cause you will start to lose spl after several sheets of it. Another thing to let you know this class is very tough so be ready for some intense competition. This is probably one of the most popular classes in NSPL meaning the truck/suv class.

Have fun and if you have anymore questions just let me know. I will reply here or to you in pm when I find out about the power wire runs for negatives.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Thanks for the info nightshade. That helped a lot. I will loose the 4th run if I have to. Thanks for the tip about the height. Im probably 20" from the roof and I could use a little more room. Trying to fit 14-16 cubes back there and have room for batteries and amps is challenging. Fitting the 18's would be a lot easier than the 4 15's but I just like the idea of having the 4 15's...more is better lol.

I have 2 layers of deadener on the roof and one layer on the interior and exterior door panels. The setup will all be 12v for now but later on I did plan on adding am MLA module to the system or one of the new XS power regulators.

As long as your running a 12 volt system an MLA module is legal to the best of my knowledge. I've seen competitors use external voltage regulators in a few of the classes but never seem them go over 15.5 volts or so. Hell sometimes when I start my car up it's over 15.5 volts and that was with a stock alt. Now I have an Iraggi and it's around 15.1-15.2 when it's cold.

In NSPL it's pretty much about efficiency at lower power except for the 3601-Up classes. The idea of more voltage in a 1801-3600 watt class doesn't really help a lot cause if you go over 3600 watts your moved to the next class up. So weather you make your power at 12 volts or 15 volts it's not that big of a deal if you keep it under 3600 watts. I can see higher voltage actually hurting you in the lower classes since your amps will make more power at that higher voltage it would be easier to go over your power limit.

Like I said though for the class your probably going to be in a higher voltage will help a bunch, but there is only so much power that 3 additional batteries will make so you are kinda limited. I would say that it's probably almost impossible to make over 20-25K watts in the class unless you were running 4 Battcap 8400's, 1 up front under the hood and 3 in the rear. Those batts are strong as hell and used to rule the NSPL organization, but now most people can't afford them.

Also to answer your other question about having more than 3 batts, you can as long as they are completely unhooked and the judge can see and inspect them to make sure nothing is running into them. So you may have to be able to access them easily and be able to lift them up and show a judge that they're cool.

I also run in the Streetbass 149.9 class so it looks like finals could be fun this year since there should me many more people in the class. I only have to get the issue of my amps protecting under control first but there is almost 10 months to figure it out :)

No problem helping you, you know who to ask if you need anything else. :hairtrick:

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

If things go right I should have 2 RD D5's soon. That will definitely put me over 3600watts. If I can keep my rise in check im hoping for 7000watts running the amps at .5ohm. The only thing concerning me is that the HDC3 15's need 4 - 4.5 cubes per sub and im really needing to put them into 3.5 t0 3.8 per sub. Guess I have some measuring to do.