First attempt at fiberglass

It's a cotton weave the exact name i'm not sure but it's got a really nice stretch to it and holds a shape fairly well doesn't take too much resin to saturate it... it seems really close to pool table felt only thiner

and the pioneer 6.5's are really shallow so they are fine but the main thing that would hit is the Head Unit but i checked and it cleared

1993 Honda Civic LX

Kenwood KDC-MP342U Head Unit

Alpine MRP-250

Alpine MRP-500

Dual Alpine Type E-12's

Blaupunkt 2-way Coaxial all 4 doors

Sealed Box

The reason i think that it's so blotchy is cause the resin was really thick and i think i mixed in a little too much hardener but almost all the area got

a little resin on it and now this weekend i'll start getting the fiberglass on there

With Resin and equipment

IMG_2190.jpg

Back you can really tell the unevenness (aah first project i still will enjoy it cause it does sound good)

IMG_2188.jpg

Side where i failed to get resin on a spot

IMG_2189.jpg

Top View

IMG_2193.jpg

Other Side view

IMG_2187.jpg

Yeah i probably should of worked a little harder to get it all even but oh well it serves it's purpose and still looks cool,

now what color do you guys think between

Metallic Blue

Metallic Red

Light Green

Gloss Black

I'm leaning toward the Blue like the backlight but open to any other suggestions

1993 Honda Civic LX

Alpine MRP-250

Alpine MRP-500

Dual Alpine Type E-12's

Sealed Box

Yeah i probably should of worked a little harder to get it all even but oh well it serves it's purpose and still looks cool,

now what color do you guys think between

Metallic Blue

Metallic Red

Light Green

Gloss Black

I'm leaning toward the Blue like the backlight but open to any other suggestions

Are you planning on painting it? if so that takes alot of time,sanding,and a little bit more experience to make it look good.But if you do then black.When you resin don't be shy,it's better to have too much than not enough.That stuff look's pretty thin so I would put a few extra layer's of fiberglass.And nice job .

wunna play halo?

Are you planning on painting it? if so that takes alot of time,sanding,and a little bit more experience to make it look good.But if you do then black.When you resin don't be shy,it's better to have too much than not enough.That stuff look's pretty thin so I would put a few extra layer's of fiberglass.And nice job .

When you put an excessive amount of resin on it begins to "pool" in certain spots and what i mean is the resin works with gravity to make a perfectly level flat spot on anything it builds up on (so if you have very detailed lines or dips in your sculpture the resin will level them out while your not looking). Id say go over it a little with 80 grit sand paper just to scuff it up then clean it to give the next coat of resin something to adhere to. One more word of advice to ya man, be creative. Not sayin your piece isnt, but in the world of fiberglass the possibilitys are endless and that is a beautiful thing.

Yeah i just got back from talking with some of my friends at ABC warehouse and they liked it and had some suggestions.

I am going to re cut the front and pull out the head unit and angle it up which will look real cool when done and i also got some freebe's cause they

didn't like the look of the speaker edge

a couple of polk DB 6.5 speaker covers.

IMG_2195.jpg

But the tweeters didn't line up (the top one)

IMG_2196.jpg

So i broke out the jig saw

IMG_2200.jpg

And what remained

IMG_2198.jpg

Put on the speaker and doesn't look too bad at all :D

IMG_2199.jpg

With both covers cut and on

IMG_2202.jpg

I am going to work this weekend to pull out the head unit and angle it some odd direction

Angled up and possibly off level tilted to the side or something

1993 Honda Civic LX

Alpine MRP-250

Alpine MRP-500

Dual Alpine Type E-12's

Sealed Box

Well i couldn't resist and i started to tilt the head unit... :01nocomment8so: didn't get any pics of the under parts but overall i think it will work and doesn't look half bad. It does look better in person you get a better perspective of the angle and lines.

Front View

IMG_2203.jpg

Side

IMG_2204.jpg

Other side

IMG_2206.jpg

i have to give props though to matt for the idea to use the Polk grills and Nate for the idea of how to cut them

I'll be resining the new part in the next day or two and hopefully getting a layer of actual glass on it also

1993 Honda Civic LX

Alpine MRP-250

Alpine MRP-500

Dual Alpine Type E-12's

Sealed Box

Be sure to add several layers of mat on that. Light oz mat. It looks a little flimsy. It will all be the same dark color once it is all evenly coated with resin.

www.AlabamaDrift.com04 Silverado in the works

Archived