alright so i have a 97 dodge ram 1500 with the 318, when i went out to start it this morning the battery was dead so i put the charger on it, when i went back outside to try it again it would turn over but wouldn't start, it fires but just wont pop off. i tried starting it several times but no luck and i don't have a clue whats wrong with it, it has new plug wires n plugs. what do u guys think? any help would be appreciated thanks

EDIT: also yesterday when i was driving it was idling really high, like 2500 rpm's, and when it wasn't idling that high it would barely run n would pop n miss (the only way i can explain the sound is a firecracker going off in a coffee can haha)n almost die, i'm really at a loss with this guys please help me out

Edited by squeak

damn, i still got my 94' and she runs beautifully, only thing i can think of is if its throwing a code try and get an OBD on it. Sorry i couldnt offer any helpful advice, never had that problem before.

damn haha, its alright dude, yea it was acting around august too missing n popping n stuff, we hooked a scanner up to it n it didnt throw any codes n the next day it came out of it n ran just fine until now, but it always started n stuff before so i really dont know

was it over heating before or anything like that. is there water in your oil or oil in your coolant... the only thing i can think of is a blown head gasket.. if you can get it to start look for mist coming out the exhaust

nope its never overheated or anything like that, no coolant in the oil or anything, that was the first thing i checked n i'm gonna try to start it again tomorrow when its not 20 below, n it was plugged in so i know it didn't have to do with that

sounds like a timming issue... BUT the way yuo said it was idling at 2500RPM maens it was sucking air some where...bad intake gasket?

cant really cheak the exhaust for mist coming out since its so cold.. but if there is a white or blue smoke instead of steam or what ever then you have a bad head gasket.. but if theres no sign of lost coolant then thats not the issue...

sounds like a timming issue... BUT the way yuo said it was idling at 2500RPM maens it was sucking air some where...bad intake gasket?

cant really cheak the exhaust for mist coming out since its so cold.. but if there is a white or blue smoke instead of steam or what ever then you have a bad head gasket.. but if theres no sign of lost coolant then thats not the issue...

yea, the only colored smoke that comes out was today n it was black n when it runs at low rpm's it loads up really bad the exhaust actually makes my eyes burn, but idk why it would be loading up that bad, if it was timing wouldn't it have come up on the scanner when we had it hooked up? i'm really at a loss with this thing

so its running really rich?

try pullin off your airfilter and trying again. cant be a fuel issue if its got black smoke coming out.. so pull off yrou air filter housing and try that,

alright ill try that tomorrow, its wicked cold out or i would tonight

well i just tried starting it again, n tried what speeddemon said to do but it still just does the same thing, it still just turns over n fires every once in a while so i guess i'm stuck at home again dammit, anybody else have any other ideas?