Power distribution

Well, im planning my setup, and i ran into a problem.

Theory

Setup is going to consist of

Alpine MRP-M500 (Monoblock, for my sub)

Alpine MRP-F300 (4 channel amp for mids/highs)

So i have 800W RMS power (when all speakers run in 2 ohms). Taking a efficiency of 80% (those are class D amps). I will need cabling for 1000W to the back.

Question

- How much gauge power wire do i need?

I thought about some 4 Gauge (because the amps want 8 gauge, and i have 2 amps).

- How am i going to distribute it?

Bussbars/soldering those wires together?

- Where to place my fuses (including the fuses for the big3)

I dont have any clues.

Btw, im sorry for being nubish. This is going to be my first install and i want to do it right.

How much gauge power wire do i need?

I thought about some 4 Gauge (because the amps want 8 gauge, and i have 2 amps).

A quality 4 gauge will be fine for the demand.

How am i going to distribute it?

A fused d-block like the one pictured will do the job. There are better ones out there, this was the first pic I found.

BC-1428B.JPG

Where to place my fuses (including the fuses for the big3)

That depends on the vehicle. You might want to run a search for your vehicle here or on a platform-specific forum and see what others have done.

Btw, im sorry for being nubish. This is going to be my first install and i want to do it right.

Nothing wrong with that. :8)

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

A quality 4 gauge will be fine for the demand.

A fused d-block like the one pictured will do the job. There are better ones out there, this was the first pic I found.

BC-1428B.JPG

That depends on the vehicle. You might want to run a search for your vehicle here or on a platform-specific forum and see what others have done.

Nothing wrong with that. :8)

Those are nice blocks :) And is it ok to put them so far away from my battery? On the site where im going to order they only have them from the brand Caliber. Are they good for such things? And can i bolt those on the chassis or dant i do that?

Those are nice blocks :) And is it ok to put them so far away from my battery? On the site where im going to order they only have them from the brand Caliber. Are they good for such things? And can i bolt those on the chassis or dant i do that?

you can screw them down, they have holes in the base plate to screw it down.

1998 jeep grand cherokee

future teardown and rebuild:

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

1-concept amp (mids/highs)

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

oh and usually you would fuse no more than 6" away from the battery(which will be your single run of 4 guage) then closer to where your amps are is where you will branch it off to the 2 runs of 8 guage. so if there is a short you wont have a constant arc from that wire to chasis/ground or w/e. then these are fused in the back or where ever you are going to mount it.

1998 jeep grand cherokee

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

oh and usually you would fuse no more than 6" away from the battery(which will be your single run of 4 guage) then closer to where your amps are is where you will branch it off to the 2 runs of 8 guage. so if there is a short you wont have a constant arc from that wire to chasis/ground or w/e. then these are fused in the back or where ever you are going to mount it.

Im sorry, but due that English is not my main language i dont understand that.

You mean like, that usually i need to put my fuse 6" from my battery. After that i dont understand it anymore.

Sorry. I know that you guys can teach me a lot. But my language is blocking me.

your 4 guage wire will hook up to the front battery where you will want to fuse it, then it will run to the back of the vehicle or where your amps are. from there you can use the d block to go from single 4 down to 2-8 guage for your amps. it doesnt matter if the d block is fused but it is extra protection if it is.

1998 jeep grand cherokee

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

Archived