Second Skin Audio

Fixing an oops'd up box

Finally built my new box last weekend, 4.6 cubes @ 35Hz. Ran into issues placing the box that will be resolved next weekend (box has to come apart and be built in trunk) but when I do that I need to fix some air leaks in the seams. Does anybody have any recommendations as to how to fill these in? The biggest gap is on a corner and is probably about the thickness of a coin, if not slightly smaller. I would have just gone the MDF dust and glue route but all my dust got soaked in the garage, so it's not exactly usable.

Edited by ktownsdriftking

Too many projects, too little time...

fiberglass resin! works like a charm... its like 12 bucks at walmart for a quart with a small tube of hardener... thats my best suggestion... i use it on all of my enclosures

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

if its only thick as a coin i would use silicon

silicon tends to not stick where mdf dust is present.. plus it likes to let go after awile anyways from the air movement... i would use the white caulk if your going to go that route... but resin will work better than anything... if the gap is large enough to slide a small piece of fiberglass matte in... i would do so...

also... silicon smells like shit... resin smells good!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

yeah if your just doing the joints... just dont mix it all at once... i normally dont mix more than 4 ounces at a time unless im making a mold of something... i used a single quart on the box for the 4 type r's... did all the joints and the vent with no problems...

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

I'd be less concerned with air leaks and more worried about the box staying together. How long is the area that has the gap? You want the panels bonded together with wood glue and use caulk to seal the seams if you don't trust you glue joints to be air tight.

Only takes a few seconds with a scrap piece of wood to make some sawdust.