My '96 Grand Prix has a wonky PASSLOCK module. It won't start the car off the key, and the ignition button I installed will work for about 4 seconds before the PASSLOCK cuts fuel and kills the motor. The key will randomly start and stop working, sometimes stranding me for hours.

I was playing with the idea of using a bypass module from a remote start to get around this problem. I don't know the first thing about them, but if I can use one without the remote start that would be all I needed I think. If not, I might just cave and buy a decentish two-way alarm with remote start and go from there.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

Too many projects, too little time...

I said this in another one of your threads... but don't 96 grand prix's have a VATS system not passlock? makes a big difference in fixing the problem...

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

Look at the key. is there a metal chip on it ? if so its vats . measure the resistance of the chip (meter prob on each side) get a resister of that value then solder it in the vats wires . there 2 white wires in a yellow or orange plastic tube running down with ignition harness. follow that down to the big plug and use the wires on the other side of the plug( there bigger and easier to work with. cut both wires and solder the resister between the wires running away from the plug and your done. if its passlock 2 get a xko1 and wire it per instruction then you have to hook the brown wire on the xko1 to a wire that is ground when running like key sense (if its negative or use a relay and switch the pos ignition to a neg output ) then cut passlock wires from ignition ring. there yellow , black and orange/black . hope that helps

Edited by S3Customs

yeah that car has vats look for

wht to wht/blk(resistor), wht to pur/wh(reference)

measure your key resistance go to a local remote start shop get that resistor the wires will be in a black or orange coating dont touch yellow because that is a airbag lol

Greg,
Triple C Auto Niagara Falls NY

Under construction
2002 Chevy Suburban

pioneer 8000NEX

3 Sets of ARC Audio 6000 components in custom front doors

2 Powerbass midrange in center council

4 Super tweets

2 Focal 900.6 6 channels

4 American Bass VFL Comp 15's (currently running 2)

DC 12.0k

DC Power dual alt bracket

2 XS Power D3400's under the hood

3 C&D technologies 110ah in rear

along with multiple runs of 0 AWG OFC