homemade home audio

Well, the roomates blew up the polk studio monitor 2's i had :(

so we're building a new set of fronts.

Basically i'm throwing a pair of pioneer d series components wired in series in each box, and we have the school woodshop at our disposal so it should be pretty legit (not to mention that 6-6.5's and 6 tweeters with 330wrms between em should be alot louder than the 4-3in speakers i have now)

so who has some home audio projects to share? i'll throw my pics up when i'm done but I want to see what you guys have done first (especially if its some car audio stuff in the home)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

well...guess noone had any projects to share

so i'll share mine

like i said, 1 set (2 woofers, 2 tweets, 2xovers) of the current pioneer d-series components in each speaker, wired to 8 ohms so my reciever is happy.

we ended up spraypainting them, but i kinda want to flectone them just because mdf looks like poop spraypainted (even though they were primered and everything was done in this legit spraybooth my school happens to have tucked away in the tech dept.

some boxes

spkr0.jpg

some wiring

spkr2.jpg

some components

spkr1.jpg

some finished products

spkr3.jpg

sorry its so dim, damn tv is overpoweringly bright. next step is a custom made entertainment center, cuz the walmart one looks like it wants to drop my fancy new flatscreen, which as a size reference for the speakers is a 52. speaker boxes are 8x20x8 iirc

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

I love them, and so does everyone else that has them. for the price I really dont think there's anything better out there. as far as clear, loud, great sounding components for ~$200 bux go, these take the cake. I have my 3 sets, my cousin has 2 in his car, my buddy has 2 sets in his truck (or did, till he wrecked it), my girl has them in her car, and we have a lot of satisfied customers to boot.

noone pays attention, but the cones are aramid (aka kevlar, same stuff used in high end focal and such) and basalt fiber (rock, heated a drawn into a fiber and formed into a composite with kevlar)

how bad ass is that? light, stiff, and acoustically dead as a rock, because its literally made from rocks. I happen to love the sound of the really neutral tweets, and the crossover quality is damn good for the price range.

Team DC

so u went sealed? i always wanted to make my own towers but thought i would need to port it something high

RIP The 03 prix!

New Ride

2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

4 DC LVL 4 18s (2 currently installed)

2 DC PAI.2000 (1 currently installed)

1 DC PAI-120.4

yes, i went sealed

the response curves on these things are great sealed, and i have an 8in sub that picks up at 100hz, so its not like i need these to drop low. unlike home speakers, these were meant to run with a sub and in a freeair environment,

edit: oh, and our school got some of those sawstop table saws. def the best table saw ever. its really like the sturdiest, quitest, smoothest, best cutting table saw i've ever seen. and if you touch the blade it stops it before it even turns enough to cut you. They leave around one of the used brakes, cuz someone already had their fingers saved by it.

Team DC

I wish my school had a wood shop to work in. I'd def go work on boxes in shit in there.

Speakers look nice though man, bet they sound good. I've never heard a set of those pioneers but I've heard alot of people say they love them.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

• 2 weeks later...

So i figured i'd update this just to let people know it actually works really damn well. We've had like 2 little parties here since we made them and have yet to blow them, and even had a few audio fans compliment them and ask where to get them. so moral of the story is, if you have some old car speakers laying around and shitty HT speakers, car audio works great in the house.

oh, and qu1cks1lver, your sig is literally a full page of a 14 inch laptop screen.

Team DC

I built some towers using some old 6.5 Pioneer coaxials a long time ago, no pictures of those to show. They sounded pretty good. Used MDF and laminated them with Formica.

These are the most recent cabinets I've built. The Rasta box is now in my buddies basement. The smaller one is the one Im using at the house now. Well I will be when I get a new sub to put in it.

2427500963_3b053bfd8a_o.jpg

2428314140_333bd757a3_o.jpg

2427501377_9aaf6899f0_o.jpg

2428314470_8f6cdcccff_o.jpg

2428314404_5f1dca87cc_o.jpg

nice bro

i wish i had tome to do it right. mine were built from scrap wood left over from tearing out my wall, leftover screws and glue, and built between classes, lol. i kinda want to do something nice like you did, instead of just something solid and airtight, gotta work a bit on making it look good

Team DC

Archived