Sundown Audio

So... SA-8 a little too big / powerful / deep for you ?

I'm working on the E8 v.2 model as well for those of you who fit that description. THERE IS NO ETA OR PRICE YET - MY PROTOTYPE JUST GOT HERE TODAY!

Works a bit better sealed as well -- very close to the E8 v.1 in sealed performance.

Sticking to the 200 RMS rating of the E8 v.1 but this model is alot more robust -- I did alot of thinking over the last year or so about how to make an affordable 8" driver that can take more abuse than the E8 v.1 could... and this is what I came up with.

It will be cheaper than the SA-8 but, obviously, more expensive than the E8 v.1 model.

Magnet is 6mm narrower than the SA-8 and only a single stack... I cranked it up pretty high on our test bench 1500 @ 1 ohm and I was pleased. It doesn't have the advanced coil cooling of the SA-8 but doesn't need it as it's a 200 RMS rated driver.

On to the pictures and specs :

CIMG3407.JPG

* Yes the top plate is slightly taller than the SA-8 -- stamped frame to reduce costs (it has a glossy black finish).

CIMG3408.JPG

* Rubber surround - the surround is the limiting factor excursion wise in this driver so I used rubber to prevent tearing. The E8 v.1 foam surround allowed more travel than the driver could safely handle - so I put a "brake" on this driver so to speak.

CIMG3409.JPG

* Bumped back plate allows 25mm of throw before bottoming out -- but the surround will stop the driver before that.

CIMG3410.JPG

* Exact same spider as the SA-8 but only a SINGLE layer instead of two like the SA-8

SPECIFICATIONS:

RE: 3.927 ohms

Fs: 43.59 Hz

Qes: 0.643

Qms: 4.404

Qts: 0.555

Le: 2.75 mH

Vas: 7.22 L

BL: 13.023 NA

Cms: 131 uM/N

Mms: 101 grams

Sens: 81.53 1w/1m

Xmax: 10.5mm one-way linear

Power: 200 RMS

-----

I am really excited about it... the design came out EXACTLY like I envisioned it... I really cannot give any ETA at all but I had to share since I was so pleased with it.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

hey jacob. If you need some outsource testing on this sub to the old one, send one my way and i'll get u some good shit and reiview on it.

Bills

KwB

Team DC Audio Midwest captain

This is a 150mm OD magnet and the E8 v.1 was 140mm OD -- so it gained 10mm of magnet OD. Thickness is the same.

Biggest motor size difference is in the top plate where this is 15mm and the E8 v.1 was 8mm. Back plate is also thicker on the v.2 model.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg