Sonic Electronix

Sub cutting and crackling?

Hey i have an RE SE that I am repairing for a guy. He tore One positive and one negative lead off of seperate coils. I whent in and Fixed the lead wires and made sure they had the rite resistance. Everything is perfect with the leads now. I hooked the woofer up and played it out of the box, and it sounded great. I put it in the box and played it and it sounded great. A little later that day it started clipping sorta. It plays fine on lower volume but once you hit a certain point it starts to crackle and gets really quiet. I do not proceed to play it. I turn it down immediatley. I thought it was my shitty winter amp at first cuz b4 this SE i had a hifonics in on the same amp and it would crackle at a certain volume... So i whent and put in my nice amp and it played beautifully for a while then started up again. Just curious to what you guys may think the problem might be? Ground wire conection going bad? My ground wire is a pain in the ass to get to, so i have not checked it yet. wires inside box and on sub terminals are all good and connected good. I checked the lead wires on the sub also. they are good and good resistance still. The sub has obviously been beaten pretty damb good if he snapped the lead wires off. Just wondering if the sub has prob. seen its better days? or what? I've noticed it can play certain song good and certain ones not soo good. No resistance or scrapage when you push the cone in or out by hand. I'm thinking maybe some dirt and grime got on my ground. Just wanna check everything b4 i tear my car apart to get to my ground. Also has anyone experianced this same prob with RE SE's? THe lead wires snapping? Jw? Thanks alot guys. I appreciate any postive input and feedback. Thanks

Did the lead wires pull off the cone or just off the connection points of the basket? If it was off the cone you may not have a good solid connection and it may be flexing or heating up.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived