Sundown Audio

Anyone that knows how to fix amplifiers.

Ben G.

Hey anyone that knows how to fix an amplifier prop. please message me. I am wanting to learn the proper way how to fix an amplifier. I have an old cruch amp. It was DEAD! I opened it up and found some bad burn solder. I cleaned the bad soder away and resoldered the joints. Now instead of nothing happening, now when i put juice to it it blows the fuse rite away. I am wondering if there are bad diode's or resistors in the amp? which would make the power just shoot out of the amp and blow the fuse? And if this is the case, how do i check the amp? Do i just take a multimeter and set it to ohms, or resistance and start checking everything? Please message me if you can help me understand, or just reply to my post?

Same thing was happening to my buddies amp a while back. We took the cover off and looked at the guts, and noticed where the fuses go, the pieces on the inside were loose. So we tightened them up, put new fuses in it, but the cover back on, hooked it back up, and it stopped blowing the fuses. Could be the problem, might not be. I'm no amp pro, something you could check though.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Bad solder joints usually indicate that the part at that spot in the amp got really really hot at some point - and is probably blown.

Most common problem in amps (especially when they're blowing fuses) is bad MOSFETs

That said, if you don't have an oscilloscope don't even bother. There are waveforms you have to check in the amp or it will just blow up in your face again. Or it just won't work and without a scope you will have no idea that you have no drive to the power MOSFETs or something.

EDIT: Yeah, I repair amps. I won't claim to be an expert but I know my way around them pretty well.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

boon where are you located?

Greg,
Triple C Auto Niagara Falls NY

Under construction
2002 Chevy Suburban

pioneer 8000NEX

3 Sets of ARC Audio 6000 components in custom front doors

2 Powerbass midrange in center council

4 Super tweets

2 Focal 900.6 6 channels

4 American Bass VFL Comp 15's (currently running 2)

DC 12.0k

DC Power dual alt bracket

2 XS Power D3400's under the hood

3 C&D technologies 110ah in rear

along with multiple runs of 0 AWG OFC

Archived