Okay I am looking to purchase some computer fans to cool my amplifier in my car. The ones I am looking at have the 3 pin connection, I was wondering how I hook that up to a power and ground lead so that I can wire them off a toggle in the car? How do I do it?

Link to said fans:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7&CatId=494

HU: JVC KD-AVX1Speakers: Stock BlazerSub: 2 Mass Destruction Car Audio Sidewinder 12"Amp: Orion HCCA-D1200 @ 1ohm (600 RMS)Box: 3.0 cubes tuned to 35

Okay I am looking to purchase some computer fans to cool my amplifier in my car. The ones I am looking at have the 3 pin connection, I was wondering how I hook that up to a power and ground lead so that I can wire them off a toggle in the car? How do I do it?

Link to said fans:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7&CatId=494

well, i would say just cut the wires for the fan and wire them directly to the switch. im pretty sure that the yellow cable on the fan is for data purposes only (so that your PC, fan controller etc. can read how fast the fan is spinning) so all you need is the black and red to make it spin. i say test it out and let me know the results

16321145278.jpg

On computer cathodes, when you hook them up in your car you cut the wires yellow and black, the yellow wire is positive. I dont know if it is the same for fans, but I am pretty sure that it is. also make sure you fuse the wire to the power cause if you dont you will no longer have a working fan.

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Yellow is 12V, red is 5V, and black is ground. Just an idea, run your remote wire to a relay, and use the relay to turn on the fans and the amp ;)

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Yellow is 12V, red is 5V, and black is ground. Just an idea, run your remote wire to a relay, and use the relay to turn on the fans and the amp ;)

So could you run the red wire off your REM wire without the relay? What happens if you hook the wire up into the same terminal on the amp as your rem, like, why do you need a relay?

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Well depends, I dk how much power is comming from the remote wire, I don't think its 12 volts, you need 12 volts to power those fans.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

• 2 weeks later...

i would guess that those are separate power rails. 12 and 5 volts like bassJunkie suggested. For a vehicle environment, only use the 12 volt rail. you may damage the 5V if you run 12V thru it.

unless, of course, you step it down.....which is just not practical.