Second Skin Audio

SQ sealed vs SQ ported?

Dan208

please explain how then? unless its a bandpass i havent seen it done

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

by tuning stupid low and losing output. so itll be quieter and almost pointless. its just a general rule of thumb. if hes asking a question like this do you really think he will know how to build the perfect ported box? i gave an answer that i feel best matches his audio level.

lets see your boxes if you know so much.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I know that you get more output from a ported box, I was just curious because I've never seen box recommendations like this. They have sealed SQ-.5, ported SQ-.65 and SPL ported 1.25.

Like I said, I was wondering about it because this is the first time I've ever seen box specs listed this way.

just like army guy posted. sealed box has a flat response curve. a ported box will peak around the boxes tuning. ive built many of both and you can hear a difference.

Once a ported box is put inside a car it could peak at something entirely different, its not going to be exactly what you tune the box to.

Alpine INA-W900

Dynaudio system 362

Zapco DC650.6

Stetsom 2k

2 15" DC lvl 4 hybrids

Once a ported box is put inside a car it could peak at something entirely different, its not going to be exactly what you tune the box to.

you must be refering to the resonent frequency of the vehicle and that does play a part in the final outcome of the install but I have had sealed boxes and ran ported ones and you can definetly tell the difference between them

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

i didnt say "exactly" i said "around". but thats not even the point of what i was saying. im really tired of everyone nit picking anything they want just to show people that they know something even when its not on the subject of the thread.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Something else that I found in the manual.

Sealed:

Power Handling-Good at all frequencies

Linearity-Excellent

Dynamic Performance-Excellent

Efficiency-Good

Subsonic Output-Excellent

Midbass Output-Excellent

Enclosure Size-Small

Ported:

Power Handling-Good above tuning frequency

Linearity-Good

Dynamic Performance-Good

Efficiency-Very Good

Subsonic Output-Good

Midbass Output-Very Good

Enclosure Size-Medium

So my question is, are these subs better suited for sealed boxes? Notes: I'm not interested in numbers. I wouldn't mind getting metered just for shits and giggles, but my main goal is for a loud, good sounding daily driver. Also, since my vehicle is the "family truckster", I can't afford to take up the entire back, which is why I was only asking about the SQ sealed and SQ ported box sizes.

sealed will sound better for all around frequency's like 20hz to 120 hz where as a ported box tends to drop off 10hz ish above the tuning of the box, for straight SQ, sealed will be better... in my opinion

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

A speaker has damping parameters (numbers) like the Qes (Electrical damping), Qms (Mechanical damping), and Qts (Total damping). Once you put the woofer inside a acoustic suspension (sealed) box, the Qts will change to a larger number called the Qtc (enclosed damping). These damping parameters are just a way of saying how the cone motion is controlled. In a bigger sealed box, there is more air inside to support the cone motion. A huge volume of air has much less resistance to being compressed with a certain size piston (your sub), so the Qtc total damping will not rise as much inside a large sealed box. In a small sealed box, the qtc will rise much more.

Typically, guys shoot for a Qtc of about .707 for SQ. This allows the woofer to have a maximally flat response and as much low-bass extension as the sub will allow in a sealed box. A Qtc of .707 is called "critically damped" because, after that, making the box larger will have diminishing returns. The output will be much less for hardly any additonal low-end extension. A critically damped sealed box can be almost a big as a ported box, but it won't be nearly as loud. Depending on the sub, however, it will be deeper and more controlled.

In my own personal experience, building for a Qtc of around .9 sounds great once inside the vehicle. Some guys even go a little higher on the enclosed damping with 1 - 1.3. That provides for additional (more peaky) output and greater power handling than a .7 Qtc.

In a sealed box, the Qtc formula is:

Qtc = Qts * [ ( Vas / Vb ) + 1 ]1/2

Every sealed box I've built has had a tighter, cleaner sound than a ported box.

Just seal it up really good or it will sound like poo.

Air leaks are way more noticeable in a sealed enclosure.

84 K5 Blazer

3" body, 2" Suspension

35" Maxxis Bighorn

100amp Alt

Marine deep cycle for the amps (freebie)

KnuKonceptz 1/0

8 Hifonics HFi 12D4's in ~19cubes tuned to 35hz

Audiopipe AP-18001D

RF 5x8's in the kicks

Almani 5.25 comp. in back

Kenwood KAC-645

--IN THE FUTURE--

None.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Decaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Decaf @ Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we seriously need some butt plugs so you guys stop spewing chit talk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Archived