Jimmydb Posted March 10, 2010 Report Posted March 10, 2010 So I'm about to start designing the box for my first build and I was looking at material. I know most boxes are built with MDF (medium density fiberboard), but is there an upside/downside to using HDF (high density fiberboard)? Wouldn't HDF make the box more sturdy and sound generally better and how come everyone uses MDF?
Watch the bass Posted March 10, 2010 Report Posted March 10, 2010 So I'm about to start designing the box for my first build and I was looking at material. I know most boxes are built with MDF (medium density fiberboard), but is there an upside/downside to using HDF (high density fiberboard)? Wouldn't HDF make the box more sturdy and sound generally better and how come everyone uses MDF? Wiki says that HDF is usefull to work thinner espacialy for laminate, but there is glue in it. What is the pricediffrence? "in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley
CHINO11550 Posted March 10, 2010 Report Posted March 10, 2010 HDF is better but cost more & needs a special blade to cut because of the glue H/U Pioneer deh80prs w/ HRT iStreamer Ipod DACFront stage is active, 4 Morel Elate 6.5" & 8 CDT DRT26 tweetsamp running 4mids, Mosconi Audio 300.2amp running 8tit & alum tweets, Mosconi Audio 200.28 12" Ascendant Audio Chaos. amps 2 Digital Designs M4'zbox is a 4th order band passbatts. 1 XS Power D3400 under hood,6 D3100 in back2 XP 370 amp DC Power alts.MLA module 15+voltsAll in a 97 2door Tahoe LT2010 West Coast Reg. 140-149.9 Bass Race Champ Team Bass Hz
mr.p Posted March 10, 2010 Report Posted March 10, 2010 neither of these materials hold a finger to hardwood ply. my tunnel is made from 1" all hardwood ply 19ply wood...i have no flex with minimal bracing...the woofer baffle is doubled up but the top bottom sides front and back are only 1 layer DCAUDIO BALLS DEEP
Jimmydb Posted March 10, 2010 Author Report Posted March 10, 2010 What hardwood ply would you recommend? I found a store near me that sells up to 3/4 plywood, though I'm not sure how many plys they are. http://www.wood-source.com/new-lumber/products/plywood.shtml
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.