Sonic Electronix

Will 2 more subs really make a differance?

baby chained?

Daisy Chained.. and having them all in series sill not get you what you want. Parallel is what you want.

Firstly: It is a bad idea to run subs with multiple impedance values because you will be feeding different amounts of power to them due to this. There are creative ways to do your wiring to get around this issue, but with 2 of one type and 3 of another, its not gonna happen.

Secondly: Different coils means different T/S parameters. This means one sub may cause wave cancellation if it is in the same common chamber of another sub that is different. Even being in a different box does not guarantee sound waves will not interact with each other.

You can go ahead and use them all together. It might sound like crap, or it might work. I would lean toward selling the two 10's that match and getting 1 or 2 more that match the first 3.

Thanks alot stevil, You actually explaned to me what the problems instead of bashing me and saying i'm only hitting 125db...I'm all about the science behind subs. I'm not an idiot that thinks just cuz i'm running fi or some other brand i'm going to be louder than the guy running 3 lil 10"s. Thanks alot man for EXPLANING! And So your saying that adding those other 2 subs with the different loads, that they will not be symetrical with the other 3? or they will be drawing more power? How is this when they are all linked together? Sorry i just need to understand, cuz i can't leave things unknown.

baby chained?

Daisy Chained.. and having them all in series sill not get you what you want. Parallel is what you want.

Firstly: It is a bad idea to run subs with multiple impedance values because you will be feeding different amounts of power to them due to this. There are creative ways to do your wiring to get around this issue, but with 2 of one type and 3 of another, its not gonna happen.

Secondly: Different coils means different T/S parameters. This means one sub may cause wave cancellation if it is in the same common chamber of another sub that is different. Even being in a different box does not guarantee sound waves will not interact with each other.

You can go ahead and use them all together. It might sound like crap, or it might work. I would lean toward selling the two 10's that match and getting 1 or 2 more that match the first 3.

Thanks alot stevil, You actually explaned to me what the problems instead of bashing me and saying i'm only hitting 125db...I'm all about the science behind subs. I'm not an idiot that thinks just cuz i'm running fi or some other brand i'm going to be louder than the guy running 3 lil 10"s. Thanks alot man for EXPLANING! And So your saying that adding those other 2 subs with the different loads, that they will not be symetrical with the other 3? or they will be drawing more power? How is this when they are all linked together? Sorry i just need to understand, cuz i can't leave things unknown.

Why do people come in here and ask us for help, then when we give them our answer, not by one but by MULTIPLE people, disagree and tell us we're wrong? I don't get it :mellow:

I didn't really disagree with anyone. I simply wanted more information on HOW it would be wrong and effect the out come and performance of the system. I'm sorry if i upset you. It just kinda upsets me when older people come on here and bash me because i'm a youngster and have questions. Like this is the whole point of the FORUM,to help people learn about things and UNDERSTAND. So I am really sorry if i upset or offended anyone, in anyway possible. Sorry. I just really needed the facts.

Firstly, do NOT listen to baaudio

If you have room for a ported box, that would in theory give you 2-3dB's more with the same subs/power. You would easily be able to hear that increase...

I would listen to Mlstrass, he built one of the sickest walls I have ever seen and he knows what hes talking about.

And for anybody in this thread wondering 2-5db is a big ass difference. In the first posts they was acting like it wasnt.

BUT it might not be when your going from like 125db to 130 lmao

Im the one that put its probably not worth getting put into a different class if he goes to comps. i know that when you are trying to get to the top of your class 2-5 db's is a big difference. Sorry it was out of context. but i dont think thats the case since he is mismatching subs so in this particular case i dont see it being a big deal! sorry again for the mix up!

1998 jeep grand cherokee

future teardown and rebuild:

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

1-concept amp (mids/highs)

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

To get 2.5 ohms you would be wiring them in parallel, not series.

The lower ohm subs would see more power than the higher impedance ones (by the way, 10 ohms? Fucked coils anyone?!?!) so besides the fact that they would already behave differently due to probably having completely different T/S parameters they're going to be even worse off due to the different power. The subs would actually fight each other, especially if they were all together in a sealed box.

All in all it's just a bad idea. I would sell the lot (if they're not half-blown, once again ewww 10 ohms, cooked coils) and buy 1 or 2 higher end subs.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

To get 2.5 ohms you would be wiring them in parallel, not series.

The lower ohm subs would see more power than the higher impedance ones (by the way, 10 ohms? Fucked coils anyone?!?!) so besides the fact that they would already behave differently due to probably having completely different T/S parameters they're going to be even worse off due to the different power. The subs would actually fight each other, especially if they were all together in a sealed box.

All in all it's just a bad idea. I would sell the lot (if they're not half-blown, once again ewww 10 ohms, cooked coils) and buy 1 or 2 higher end subs.

The subs are fine, You obviously do not know JL subs. They are 3 JL 10W012 nominal independance of 12ohms and dc resistance of 10.39 So the coils are just fine.

you obviously do not know SMD Boon.. =p

Edited by Mellow18

2001 Black Monte Carlo SS chrome 20''

(1) Alpine i-9881 deck-ipod-

(2) DC lvl 4XL 18''s-Walled-

(1) DAT Hellfire - 2500.1-fused-

(1) D3400 XS Power battery-fused-

(2) CDT 6.5 comp

(X) pioneer 6x9 set

(1) RF T-400.4

(1) DC POWER ALT INSTALLED BY ROB FTW,Big3

(1) Viper 5901 Alarm + killer yorkies and chihuahas

[EdgarCervantes] 4:31 pm: im in my room and out of nowere i hear bass im like oh shit sombody has

bass in this city, i look out the window and its my mom bumping Gorilla Zoe

imagine this... you have a scale with an empty jug of either side. you have a 3" tube running across the jugs but one of the jugs has a 1" tube coming from the 3" tube and the other just has the 3" tube. now the tube is your wire, the scale is your box and the jugs are your subs.

following me so far?

now you run water (power) through the tubes. the one with the 3" inlet would fill faster correct? then the scale would tip all the way over.

so in the box, the subs wouldnt be balanced and they will actually fight each other.

as for the "almost the same just a different motor and magnet and coil" those are the important things. the cone doesnt mean dick. and the magnet is the motor.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

imagine this... you have a scale with an empty jug of either side. you have a 3" tube running across the jugs but one of the jugs has a 1" tube coming from the 3" tube and the other just has the 3" tube. now the tube is your wire, the scale is your box and the jugs are your subs.

following me so far?

now you run water (power) through the tubes. the one with the 3" inlet would fill faster correct? then the scale would tip all the way over.

so in the box, the subs wouldnt be balanced and they will actually fight each other.

as for the "almost the same just a different motor and magnet and coil" those are the important things. the cone doesnt mean dick. and the magnet is the motor.

So you are saying since they are a slight different ohm they will fight each other? and This is how i would hook them up: One set of wires going from amp inside the box, all the subs are s.v.c. so then postive from the 1st sub to the last then same with the negative. This is how my power-wedge box is wired for the 3 jl W0's. So This will not work when i add the ID4's?