Second Skin Audio

2 12" ported box

imupabove

hello. im about to get 2 12" T1's really soon and i want to make a ported box. i never built one before. i dont have a table saw or anything special. only tools i got is, a drill and basic tools. i dont have any power tools. i want the box to be double baffled with 3/4 mdf. i dont know how much wood i need or the measurements. i want it really loud with just a little sound quality too. their is someone i know that can do it for me for about $150 but i want have experience on building a box on my own and maybe be good at it :]. id appreciate it someone can guide me through the process.

-what power tools do i need?

-accessories?

iDA-X200/Clarion EQS746

RF T500-1bd

(2) 12" RF HX's

Kicker 350.4

Alpine & Polk Speakers

Stock electrical

hello. im about to get 2 12" T1's really soon and i want to make a ported box. i never built one before. i dont have a table saw or anything special. only tools i got is, a drill and basic tools. i dont have any power tools. i want the box to be double baffled with 3/4 mdf. i dont know how much wood i need or the measurements. i want it really loud with just a little sound quality too. id appreciate it someone can guide me through the process.

-what power tools do i need?

-accessories?

3 cubes, 30 hz, don't need a double baffle, don't really need extra bracing, 1 sheet of wood should do it.

i can give you a quick design if you want.

3 cubes, 30 hz, don't need a double baffle, don't really need extra bracing, 1 sheet of wood should do it.

i can give you a quick design if you want.

yes please. would you need the measurements of my trunk? i havnt done that yet. why no double baffled though?

iDA-X200/Clarion EQS746

RF T500-1bd

(2) 12" RF HX's

Kicker 350.4

Alpine & Polk Speakers

Stock electrical

yes please. would you need the measurements of my trunk? i havnt done that yet. why no double baffled though?

its just not needed for 2 12's. and yeah get the measurements for the trunk. i have a design i've used before to those specs that may just fit.

its just not needed for 2 12's. and yeah get the measurements for the trunk. i have a design i've used before to those specs that may just fit.

W:43"

D:38"

L:20"

the width could have been small if id measured a little far back where the seat are but i measure that width (43") in the middle of trunk. i wouldnt say these are 100% accurate measurements but they are really really close, is that fine?

iDA-X200/Clarion EQS746

RF T500-1bd

(2) 12" RF HX's

Kicker 350.4

Alpine & Polk Speakers

Stock electrical

I am working on getting a new box designed for sub, I don't know what the specs for the T1 are, but here is how I do it.

I would first go to your car and figure out how much room you have by taking the maximum sizes. My DC 12XL needs between 1.75 and 2.75 cubes (if I remember right). Figure out what size wood you are going to use, I used .75 MDF for my first box. Then start playing with some different measurements based on how much room you have. Don't forget to also subtract your port area, sub displacement, and bracing. There are a ton of different calculator out there to help with port area, I knew that I wanted to tune around 34hz. I put those numbers in some calculator, to figure out my port area. Once I got my port measurements down I started working on final measurements and numbers.

I knew my final internal specs to be 2.5 cubes plus .16 cubes for sub displacement plus port walls, plus port area. I can't remember what my port area was but I'll just say it was 1 cubic foot including port walls. So 2.5+.16+1=3.66cubes net, so Height" x width" x depth" / 1728. I played with the depth until I came up with 3.66 on the calculator.

I only really used a sander, a drill, glue, and router. I walked into home depot with a cut sheet and they sliced up the wood for me, most of the stores won't take tips but I always offer. I walked out of home depot with pieces to a box and started rounding the inside of the ports, if you don't have a router or know someone that has one.... get a lot of sand paper and start rubbing. I got everything predrilled, then pour the glue in and screw it down. I had some speaker wire in the garage, I picked up some brass bolts to use as speaker terminals.

Material list: Wood(one sheet should be plenty), glue, screws, speaker wire, sand paper, bolts, washers, nuts, and ring terminals

Tools: Drill, corner clamp, clamps, router

I hope that helps.

DCSig.jpg

secondskin_468x60.gif

xs.jpg

Viper 5902, big 3, 1/0 Rockford wiring, 2 xs d3100, mechman 300a, pioneer avic-z1, 2 dc 12xls, Rockford t2500.1bdcp, Rockford t1000.4ad, Rockford t2 6.5 comps, damplifier

Build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/102584-carbon-fusion/

heres the 3 cube design if it'll work.

dual123cubes30hz.jpg

if not, heres one that i used in my old cavalier thats 2.5 cubes @ 31 hz and sounded good as well.

boxdesign.jpg

the second, good? each sub maximum ported space is 2.25, reading from the specs. what subs u use in this box?

iDA-X200/Clarion EQS746

RF T500-1bd

(2) 12" RF HX's

Kicker 350.4

Alpine & Polk Speakers

Stock electrical

GEEZ 3.0 cub feet thats pretty damn small for a sub enclosuer id build it to 4 cubes each and id double baffle it shit can never be too careful on the bracing

and to the OP waht kind of power are you going to be running?

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

the second, good? each sub maximum ported space is 2.25, reading from the specs. what subs u use in this box?

i ran a pair of eD subs for about 5 years (still bumping in the box in my ex wife's trailblazer now) on about 600 wrms each.

your T1's would likely be at home if not just a hair cramped in the 3 cube box.

i gave these designs as a starting place and examples of what to do more then anything. Use a calculator and adjust the measurements a little to fit into your space and somewhere in the middle of the range given for your speakers (size and tuning)

Archived