Sonic Electronix

Amplifier Problem Question?

Okay so here is the deal, I am cleaning out a bunch of crap that I have had laying around, so I took 2 kicker CVR 12" subs ( dual 2) and a kicker zx 400.1 amp and shoved them into a prefab box (around 1.5 foot per side). I shoved this prefab box into the trunk of a 1997 Cutlass. Now onto the problem, I wired the subs up at a 2 ohm load and it kicked off into safety mode as soon as I touched the gain (which was turned all the way down). I thought that for some reason the amp might not be 2 ohm stable so I unhooked one of the subs throwing the amp a 4 ohm load. I was able to turn the gain up slightly but again it kicked into safety mode. By slightly I mean less than an eighth of a turn. The car has a stock electrical system, but I have never had a problem running that small of an amp on a factory electrical system. By the way it has a 4 gauge wiring kit on it that was already there. Also he had a box with some little off brand 10's and a Boston Acoustics amp (400 watt) that never had any trouble. So does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Also, I traded out the amp for another amp that I had laying around with the same results. Sorry for the long winded post.

i just have to ask, you're 100% sure the voice coils are wired series?

right now I decided to hook up the one sub at 4 ohms til I could try to figure it out, it is playing just not like it should, and if I screw with the amp at all it kicks into safety mode. It is in series now though, I triple checked it on 12v.com, just to make sure I didn't accidentally misplace my head up my a$$.

Where is it grounded to in the trunk? and how is the connection to the batter under the hood?

If the power wire is just barely connected up front, it might make enough connection to turn on or play super quiet, but you try to draw any more current and it can't supply it, so the amp shuts off.

same deal with ground. power flows both ways. you have a crappy ground in the trunk and a crappy body ground to the battery, thats the same as a using small, crappy wire.

Awesome guys I really appreciate it, gonna check it out today and post back and let you know if I fixed it.

Seriously let us know.. I don't want people driving around with dangerous electrical setups.

Archived