Sonic Electronix

I have 2 JL Audio 10w3v3's in a sealed 1cube per driver box. The box has been used many times for at least 4 different sets of woofers. It does have about 1/3 polyfill in each chamber as well.

I have a Old Rockford 500.2 running them both each channel to its own sub. Off the sub output from a pioneer 7200bt. and all of the base controls are at 0 with the Loudness button off. and the high pass filter at 150hz.

well, my question is this. when playing the woofers at low volume and the speakers facing the front of the cab i can hear an audible air rush type sound. Almost as if there is air coming from the side of the box but when i place a piece of paper near the box to find the air leak if there is one i can find it should push the paper away right?

Ok at high volumes i hear a sound that sounds like foil being crumpled and un crumpled but only at higher frequencys. When the low bass hits it sounds just fine.

Are my speakers bad? Or have i cracked the box some? If i turn the woofers and the box away from the front of the cab and face them to the rear it sounds fine and the pressure in the cab is almost at pain levels before the distortion is able to be heard. I just bought these subs about 3 weeks ago and i am not gentle with them but i wasn't with the 10w0's i had in there last and those lasted 4 years before i ripped the surrounds off.

Looks like it's time for new woofers and box!

i dont know how many times you've tried it but you might want to remove the subs and make sure they are sealed...possibly look around them because they could be messed up..does it do this when you put other subs in the box or just with that sub? you might want to try and build another box before you start smashing up your old ones.

260 iraggi alt

Yellow Top for the front

1 18" Solo x

1 Memphis Mojo 16-MCD4KW (4000wrms)

All 1/0 Wiring

2 250 Amp Circuit Breakers

BIG 3 1/0

1 Mits. 3000GT

Check surrounds of the woofers and be sure they are bolted down as tight as possible. Also try applying pressure to each side of the enclosure. If applying pressure to the enclosure puts an end to the sound you are hearing then you know where the fix must be made. If it happens to be the surround then there may be a fix to seal it or at worst recone if anyone can make a recone for them. If not you may end up having to buy a new woofer.

Edited by Hellbound Train

wc_zps9b224b53.png

Check surrounds of the woofers and be sure they are bolted down as tight as possible. Also try applying pressure to each side of the enclosure. If applying pressure to the enclosure puts an end to the sound you are hearing then you know where the fix must be made. If it happens to be the surround then there may be a fix to seal it or at worst recone if anyone can make a recone for them. If not you may end up having to buy a new woofer.

yea, because i was banging one day then all of a sudden i heard this weird ass noise like it was coming from the box...came to find out underneath the speaker there was a crack on the plastic that you wouldnt really see..but it made i big deal when the sub was hooked up..luckily i could get the SPAIR..you might wanna double check your sub :/

260 iraggi alt

Yellow Top for the front

1 18" Solo x

1 Memphis Mojo 16-MCD4KW (4000wrms)

All 1/0 Wiring

2 250 Amp Circuit Breakers

BIG 3 1/0

1 Mits. 3000GT

ok thanks for all the suggestions. I ran the subs free air and they have no audible sound that i was hearing before i took them out of the box. I pulled all of the polyfill from in the box to check the seams and there is a huge crack going from one corner of the box to the opposite corner of the box that i couldn't see through the box carpet and polyfill..

So.. looks like i'm going to be making a new box over the easter holidays. Any suggestions for 2 10w3v3's? I bought the current box for an old set of Rockford punch 10's i had in (oops) 1999... So yes this box did last me from 1999 till now..

It's been through Rockford, Kicker and JL audio.

I like listening to all kinds of music so a good well rounded box would be great, any suggestions? Should i make it larger than the 1 cubic foot for each driver it was?

now you will be impressed with what your subs can do, with a properly built box!

03 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab l 2 15" American Bass XO's l 1 Lanzar HTG2600 l AudioVox 1510D In dash DVD l KnuKonceptz Wiring l Big Three Done with KnuKonceptz KLMX 1/0 l Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" Front Door Speakers l Upgraded to 145A Alt from 105A Alt l Custom Box 2^3 under the rear bench with resined bottom, and about 4 lbs of polyfill