so i been cutting some 1/0 for my truck and putting the stripped into an inline fuse holder one of the ones that you tighten with an allen wrench key and it crimps down on the wire. well... i been thinking would it be a better idea to solder the tip solid and then allen wrench it down or just do the norm. i don't like the idea of smashing wires to hold them in.

i am wiring up my alternators and running brackets off the frame since i do a lot of mods to my truck i have a feeling i will be unhooking these wires a few times. i think it would be more secure with a soldered end wouldn't it i didn't know it would add resistance this is why i made the tread to see some feedback on this idea.

So when i solder the lugs on the end of my wires it is giving me a worse connection than if i just crimped them on?

Yes your gonna gain some resistance but the benefit of the secured ring terminal is worth it so you don't have a hot wire fall out of a crimped ring

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

i'll be wiring from the fuses here

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q87/jashhh/new%20pics%204/more6005.jpg

to the fuses on the front of the motor

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q87/jashhh/new%20pics%204/more6002.jpg

it's about 11 feet of travel with 1/0 guage. have you guys tried the soldered tip idea yet or is it a wack idea. i'm not sure if its worth the trouble or not yet. still just an idea

I was wondering the same thing, he is talking about adding solder to the wire going into the fuse block, so as to add some structure to the wire so it wont get as smashed up by the set screw in the fuse block

Edited by devil4u2c

your idea is used soo much and you dont even know it! i work in the electical field and most of the motor starters and internal wirings of motors just give the wire a bit of solder to keep it from untwisting!

next time your at home depot or some place like that go fing a new apliance cord with thewall plug ad then some stripped wires on the other end! they use that!

"yes... it will play like that all day!"