2 18s Vs 3 12s

I've been using RF HX2 12s for years and its about time I upgrade my subs. The goal is a 150+db daily driver and the FI BLs are looking really good. They will be powered by a pair of RF T1Ks. Currently I'm hitting mid 147s (consistently 147.4-147.6) w/ three HX2 12s @ 1.33ohms which equals 2200-2300watts from these amps. Could I realistically gain 2.5db going to a pair of FI BL 18s & running the amps @ 1ohm for a solid 3000watts? It'll be a 50% increase in cone area and a 30% increase in power not mentioning how much better the BLs are than the HX2s. So whats your opinions and please be brutally honest?

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

I'm going to be running almost the exact same setup in a month or two, only with 18" Q's. I'm hoping I can stretch for a 150, I'll be doing interchangeable ports.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Hm...the way I do aeroports they dont come out lol. But I make them so you can pull the tube off of the front flare from the inside of the box, so it still works.

Subwoofer Wall

Some more facts. Besides a 50% increase in cone area and a 30% incease in power, The BLs have 50% more xmax (21mm) compared to the HX2s (14mm). The BLs have a higher sensitivity at 92.6db compared to the HX2s 88db and the BLs have a much higher power rating (I read 1700rms for a loaded BL) than the HX2s (500watts rms) so they'll be capable of using the power better. I'm thinking I could see a 2+db gain from the switch. Am I being optimistic?

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Thats pretty realistic. All other factors constant, SPL is a product of cone area and power.

Subwoofer Wall

SPL is the result of tunning a box just right based on the accoustics of the car (xmax helps some ways, but not mainly for spl- when a subwoofer is in a box and is playing the tunning point, that is when the woofer moves the least), if you match quarter waves right with port tunning, the system will be done just right, and will get good numbers

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.