Ok so I have an interview at the local shop monday. I was wondering if there was anything that I should read up on or any tips or tricks. Also, is there a way to know which wires are which when installing a h/u without looking it up? Also what should I wear. It isn't going to be a formal interview, more like a swing by the shop to make sure your not an idiot kinda thing. Whatcha guys think? I know that there are a lot of shop owners and experienced people around here. :) Any help or advice is thanked for in advance.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

be polite be respectful and don't come off as a know it all.

Dress nice but not necessarily suit and tie. It's better to be overdressed than underdressed.

DO you have a portfolio of your work? May not hurt to take it along as well as any designs or anything you can bring to the table for that shop

vehicle specific wiring is very tough to memorize for all the different cars out there. basic head unit wires are always the same color. that is easy to memorize.

things not to ask.

salary.

discounts.

breaks vacation etc.

Things to ask

average customer installation what does the average guy off the street come in for? how many installs on an average day.

average work day. what goes on during the daily grind.

alot of interviewing is developing a vibe with your interviewer. From there the conversation can ebb and flow as you feel it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

be polite be respectful and don't come off as a know it all.

Dress nice but not necessarily suit and tie. It's better to be overdressed than underdressed.

DO you have a portfolio of your work? May not hurt to take it along as well as any designs or anything you can bring to the table for that shop

vehicle specific wiring is very tough to memorize for all the different cars out there. basic head unit wires are always the same color. that is easy to memorize.

things not to ask.

salary.

discounts.

breaks vacation etc.

Things to ask

average customer installation what does the average guy off the street come in for? how many installs on an average day.

average work day. what goes on during the daily grind.

alot of interviewing is developing a vibe with your interviewer. From there the conversation can ebb and flow as you feel it.

What are the basic colors? I would assume blck is ground, red is power, and blue is remote? Then it should be speaker wires correct? I will print off all of my designs and take some pics of some of my friends cars that I have done and put them in a portfoloio. Ill be sure to ask about what goes on daily. I was thinking some nice khaki shorts and a polo.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Don't wear shorts! you wont be wearing them to work, and they are way to much of a laid back look. Need to be somewhat professional. Wear nice bluejeans at a minimum, slacks (not dress pants)would be best.

<>< Collosians 2:13-14, Philippians 4:13, 1 John 4:7-10

2 - JBL W15Gti

2 - JBL BP1200.1

Knu 1/0 Wiring

Kenwood KIV-BT901

Kenwood/Garmin Nav.

Guest Scylloga

What are the basic colors? I would assume blck is ground, red is power, and blue is remote? Then it should be speaker wires correct? I will print off all of my designs and take some pics of some of my friends cars that I have done and put them in a portfoloio. Ill be sure to ask about what goes on daily. I was thinking some nice khaki shorts and a polo.

What do the people that work there wear?

Its never good to goto a interview wearing shorts if the people working dont wear shorts.

Personally I would wear pants.

Also n8ball has good points.

But salary shouldnt be over looked. But dont make it priority.

Let the person bring it up.

The best thing you can do is show willingness to learn.

If they ask you something your not sure of admit it dont bs your way through.

What do the people that work there wear?

Its never good to goto a interview wearing shorts if the people working dont wear shorts.

Personally I would wear pants.

Also n8ball has good points.

But salary shouldnt be over looked. But dont make it priority.

Let the person bring it up.

The best thing you can do is show willingness to learn.

If they ask you something your not sure of admit it dont bs your way through.

The people there wear shorts and t-shirts, that is why i thought nice khaki shorts and a polo would be fine. Pay isnt a problem I would be more than happy at minimum wage (I am 17). There is a lot I do not know and I'm fine with telling them that. I can do audio it is just alarms I'm lacking on.

O yea, congats on the interview, still not a whole lot of that going on right now. And I would advise against the sweater too. Not really a good look unless your going to grandmas house. Stick with the the polo with a collar, or a button up t-shirt with a collar. DO WEAR PANTS, you don't work there yet and need to make an impression. It is a business casual appeal, makes you look "together". Nice shoes too (once again not dress shoes, this isn't a desk job after all). Couple other things if your interested... Wear a decent watch, gives a look that you are time oriented and organized. Turn you cellphone OFF, not just on vibrate, better yet don't even take it in with you. Distractions are distractions, you don't need them with the interview going on. Congrats and good luck man!

Edited by blade7022

<>< Collosians 2:13-14, Philippians 4:13, 1 John 4:7-10

2 - JBL W15Gti

2 - JBL BP1200.1

Knu 1/0 Wiring

Kenwood KIV-BT901

Kenwood/Garmin Nav.

Thank you for the advice it is very very appreciated.

I always take a pen and pad with me with some prepared questions. Also ask if its ok if you take notes. It shows attentiveness and attention to detail. I suck at talking myself up so when I've had to interview I make sure I kill it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.