Yup, 194 represents a perfect vacuum. thats why that is the limit of sound. You can technically keep compressing air infinitely. But it will be non-linear. (more compression compared to vacuum.)

So its just a shockwave of compression. Basically an explosion.

An explosion has sound, but an explosion is not sound. If that makes sense.

No speaker could create a perfect vacuum so I guess we can only get close

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

x2^^ krakatoa susposidly did a 285db when it went off, and they said that it could be felt in texas but thats not sound

a sound has somewhat of resonant frequency to keep up with, anything over 200 will kill anyone just by shock wave alone, and cant be measured that high anyways

this had to be a guesstamation

but what really gets me is, what is the very first db reading meter ever created?

cause they would halfto base the term-lab on something for it to be so reputable among spl ppl and what knot

i watched that mythbusters woofer deal they had and that one dude with the jbl van said that anything above 165db could cause permanent hearing damage, and or bleeding from the ears

i think my truck is around the 135ish db wise on a good day, so with a 160+ i would worry more on a brain hemerage from all the vibration and pressure

if u could do a psi to db ratio, at witch depth a diver would halfto go for ears to be would equal witch db?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cause a brain hemorrhage. This guy sat in a car that did 170s at a db drag and was bleeding out the ears when he got out. But he didn't have anything else wrong.

Tell me this, doesn't 160dB+ hurt the mics in Term Lab, meaning they need to be recalibrated?

don't think it would, maybe if you used a weaker sensor, but most use the stiffest one (which is like 173.something)

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

x2^^ krakatoa susposidly did a 285db when it went off, and they said that it could be felt in texas but thats not sound

a sound has somewhat of resonant frequency to keep up with, anything over 200 will kill anyone just by shock wave alone, and cant be measured that high anyways

this had to be a guesstamation

but what really gets me is, what is the very first db reading meter ever created?

cause they would halfto base the term-lab on something for it to be so reputable among spl ppl and what knot

i watched that mythbusters woofer deal they had and that one dude with the jbl van said that anything above 165db could cause permanent hearing damage, and or bleeding from the ears

i think my truck is around the 135ish db wise on a good day, so with a 160+ i would worry more on a brain hemerage from all the vibration and pressure

if u could do a psi to db ratio, at witch depth a diver would halfto go for ears to be would equal witch db?

There is a weighting scale for dB and SPL meters. A weighted, C weighted, etc...

Each weighting is based and a different frequency sensitivity.

the Term Lab is non weighted and has a flat response over all frequencies measured. Its based off of a PSI to dB conversion scale designed by Alexander Gram Bell and Bell labs.

The db rating of cracatoa and A-bombs is an estimate.

They are usually based off of a weighted reading taken miles away. And then the formula for distance is used to figure what it COULD be at the source.

So not a true measurement but an estimate.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cause a brain hemorrhage. This guy sat in a car that did 170s at a db drag and was bleeding out the ears when he got out. But he didn't have anything else wrong.

I'm pretty sure he was a little bit dumber. I love bass, but anything to damage you, is just stupid. They just race for numbers not for fun. It would be cool to say my ride does 170dB+ but if you aren't talking to someone audio savvy, then the person you're speaking to will be like, "okay, cool." because they don't understand lol.

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

Tell me this, doesn't 160dB+ hurt the mics in Term Lab, meaning they need to be recalibrated?

No, the dB Drag Term Lab is not a mic. Its a pressure sensor that needs no calibration.

The old measuring system before 2003 was a condensor microphone based system like the audio control used to use and cheapo meters use. Because it was a moving diaphram, it required recalibration and could be fatigued.

The Term Lab is not a moving diaphram and doesnt need calibration

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

I'm pretty sure he was a little bit dumber. I love bass, but anything to damage you, is just stupid. They just race for numbers not for fun. It would be cool to say my ride does 170dB+ but if you aren't talking to someone audio savvy, then the person you're speaking to will be like, "okay, cool." because they don't understand lol.

Pretty much all the cars on here can damage you. So yeah, even cheap systems can damage hearing (from all the distorted mids and highs)

Chuck them in the car and I'm sure they would understand :P .

And the thing about brain hemmoraging and hearing damage is that it is all frequency dependant. You cant say that in general that 165 would cause damage to anything. Because 165dB at 1000hz would do much more damage to certain body parts than 165dB at 50hz.

Its very frequency dependant and most lower frequencies wont cause any damage even up to 175 dB

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

No, the dB Drag Term Lab is not a mic. Its a pressure sensor that needs no calibration.

The old measuring system before 2003 was a condensor microphone based system like the audio control used to use and cheapo meters use. Because it was a moving diaphram, it required recalibration and could be fatigued.

The Term Lab is not a moving diaphram and doesnt need calibration

Ahh, see, you learn something new everyday. I just remember reading that somewhere, and I wasn't sure so I asked. Anyways, Ed, I have to say you are by far, one smart individual. I say that outta respect, and in a non nut hugging way. Just figured I'd pay respects, as every time I see a post of yours, its filled with wisdom. So it makes me happy when I learn something new. :yahoo:

On topic though, I don't think you need 256 dB to get a girls clothes off.. you may not need any dBs, just rip em off yourself. Solves everything.. :clapping:

EDIT: Ed also makes a good point. The lows don't kill your hearing, its mostly from the high frequencies. I can take lows all day, but you blare the highs even on a undistorted source, and it hurts. IMO.

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

And the thing about brain hemmoraging and hearing damage is that it is all frequency dependant. You cant say that in general that 165 would cause damage to anything. Because 165dB at 1000hz would do much more damage to certain body parts than 165dB at 50hz.

Its very frequency dependant and most lower frequencies wont cause any damage even up to 175 dB

I agree with all apart from the lower frequencies won't do any damage up to 175+. If your ears hurt, they generally it's the ear drum moving far too much, I don't know about you but I'm sure it would hurt if you sat in a car that does 170.

Ahh, see, you learn something new everyday. I just remember reading that somewhere, and I wasn't sure so I asked. Anyways, Ed, I have to say you are by far, one smart individual. I say that outta respect, and in a non nut hugging way. Just figured I'd pay respects, as every time I see a post of yours, its filled with wisdom. So it makes me happy when I learn something new. :yahoo:

On topic though, I don't think you need 256 dB to get a girls clothes off.. you may not need any dBs, just rip em off yourself. Solves everything.. :clapping:

haha, thank you sir. I try and help.

And I believe a girl's clothes is also frequency dependant.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist