Sonic Electronix

I have a problem... My amp is getting really hot, to the point of if you touched it you would get burned. I don't know if this is normal or not but I have a Sony 1400 watt. Some ideas on what I should do to cool it down would be cool lol. Thanks. I also have another question too... What does a subwoofer smell like when your burning it out (or whatever you call it)?

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack

-Polk Audio db6501 (front components)

-Polk Audio db651 (back coaxials)

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Custom box tuned to 33Hz

- Kinetik HC1400

- 50 ft2 of Audio Technix sound deadner

- Big 3

My photography page

Some ideas to cool it down? Toss it. First off it's a pos, second, your ohm load is probably too low, that stench you smell it's probably your amp.

What's your set up?

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Sony amplifiers are known to get quite hot. I remember the smell from when I would sit in my friends eclipse. It definitely could be the smell of the amplifier. Only thing I can think of is build a case for the amplifier and install fans. A set of fans pulling air in and a set pulling air out.

Edited by Hellbound Train

wc_zps9b224b53.png

Some ideas to cool it down? Toss it. First off it's a pos, second, your ohm load is probably too low, that stench you smell it's probably your amp.

What's your set up?

Well this p.o.s. amp is gonna last me a while lol its not the amp tho. I got it for cheap anyway... but its wired the way the manual said to wire it... I have 2 p.o.s. Terminators lol so yea im kinda overpowering them a hell of a lot lol but they sound fine and I know how to play them if you know what I mean. And seriously gimme a break lol its my first set-up... I plan on gettin two RE SEXs and a 1200 watt RMS amp this summer when i get some more money. Just asking for some ideas on how to cool this amp and what burning subs smell like.

Edited by manofthehour

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

Just givin' you a hard time man, I completely understand first set ups. I'm 17 and this is my 2nd system. But are you sure you don't have the amp wired too low?

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Sony amplifiers are known to get quite hot. I remember the smell from when I would sit in my friends eclipse. It definitely could be the smell of the amplifier. Only thing I can think of is build a case for the amplifier and install fans. A set of fans pulling air in and a set pulling air out.

I smelt this weird smell, cant really describe it, while i was driving, but you can only smell it when the windows are up A/C off and when the car gets hot inside LOL i just dont want these subs to burn out on me in the next couple months. But it may also be the paint thats why im asking because i did put spray paint in the port...

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

Just givin' you a hard time man, I completely understand first set ups. I'm 17 and this is my 2nd system. But are you sure you don't have the amp wired too low?

POSITIVE lol but if they normally run hot its all good ill get a fan for it... it clearly gives u a picture of how to EXACTLY wire it lol

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

Ya just get a fan and lift the amp off of where it's mounted maybe an inch or so

Alright lol i dont even have it mounted tho lol its just leaning against the back of the box because i SCREWED the box measurements up by a half an inch so it doesnt slide all the way back lol O WELL lol i actually have a PC fan layin around ill just use that thanks fer the help guys, but no one told me what a burning sub smells like lol

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3