What do you think when you look at this?

And to clarify a few things, No, your typical polyester glass resin will not bond to plastics. There's only a few things that resin will stick to good enough to rely on. Someone asked "why do you always see people use glass on plastic then?"

There's techniques that if used properly you can make strong structural grips to existing panels and what not.

For example, On a dash bezel I finished up the other day, we took a spandex stretch completely around the structures edges. That made it to where, once glass was layed and the spandex was saturated with resin, it made a grab AROUND the dash bezel to say. So you could think of it as a dog humping someones leg.

If all goes well with the glass layer on top of the plastic bezel then you wont have side to side movement of the glass layer, to the plastic layer, however you could have separation between the two because like stated earlier, typical polyester resin will NOT bond to plastic. We used peices of wire as staples to hold the spandex down to the plastic over flat areas where separation could be a problem, and it made an anchor where the combination of materials create a permanent bond. That's where you have to think structurally and not "just sand down the plastic to rough it up". Odds are, it's going to come apart.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Let me clarify some things.

I took it as the OP wanted to actually use the bowls for some reason. If you wanted to use them as a form for a mold, I guess it could work. But then you have a pod that probally doesn't flow well with the doors. Just some big eyesore hanging off the door.

As mentioned, you can prep the plastic so the fiberglass will adhear some. But it won't ever really bond properly.

How do people do it you ask?

Well, you can drill holes so that resin and some mat will seep in forming "anchors" to hold. Then you can flip the part over and add some mat to the "anchors" effectivly sandwiching the part. This works and I have done it.

A more permanent method that I prefer is to make a pod or mold that you want to bond to the panel and secure it using some Evercoat Maxim 2 part epoxy.

This will properly bond to the plastic and the fiberglass and won't let loose if done correctly.

For fucks sakes, someone picks a random idea of dog food bowls to fabricate with, and just by odds, the man has made dog bowl dishes from glass.

Need I say more?

Now thats funny.

And thanks to those that said I am decent at fab work. I appreciate. I learned alot of stuff thru trial and error so I have found out what will work and what won't. And beleive me, when I started out, I tried every shortcut only to find out I took the longest route.

So now I try to help others and thru my forum teach proper methods.

And I should have posted these earlier. Here is Famous Amos......(sorry for the blur, he wouldn't sit still long)

shop_dog_2.JPG

shop_dog_1.JPG

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

if fiberglass wont stick to plastic, how the hell are people doing pods for a pillars and doors? sorry im a :noob: when it comes to glassing?

ive seen greg drill a bunch of holes in the panel for the resin to get into.

Wait, which one is the good 'glasser? I wanna go see their work! I love seeing peeps' glassin' skills!

Also, I don't feed my dog Famous Amos cookies. And when I say the dog bowls, I thought of boobs. And I know I wasn't the only one.

<~~ guilty.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived