HO alternator vs. Battey Charger

So heres my question.. If you have a high end battery charger, why should you get a HO alternator. I understand that your system draws its power from your reserved power (batteries), and your alternator justs recharges them. If you use your car as a show car or only play your music primarily when your in park and engine is off, and you have a big battery bank, do you still need a HO? Cant you just plug in your charger whenever you need be and recharge your battery bank without any damage to electrical system. Granted, lets say you do drive around 15-30 minutes daily and you play your system loud, will not having a HO for this short limited of time damage electrical? Any and ALL comments are welcome :clapping: thanx in advance!

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

RF Components (5 1/4, 6 1/2, 6x9 x 2)

Two Fi-BTL 15's

One RF T1500-1bd Amplifier

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

n1313997399_261991_8239-1.jpg

ya you can do that. i see it fairly often at comps. its just a bit of a pain to find power everywhere you go and have to worry about getting a charge instead of just turning the car on. i mostly see this with 16v systems. big bank of 16v batts and they only get charged off the charger. however these are strictly comp cars and dont see daily use.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Yea the battery charger will be able to charge the batteries when you plug it in, but here's the problem. Those 15-30 mins a day you drive you are going to be draining your batteries without recharging them. Then later you'll recharge them. Keep doing this cycle daily and the batteries aren't going to perform as intended. The alternator is there to keep the voltage up and be sure that the battery voltage stays above a certain level so you don't damage your battery.

Next think about what that low voltage will do to your system. You start dipping into the 10's and all of the sudden your amps go up in smoke and take your subs down with it. Now do you want that to happen? The alternator will keep your voltage at a good level consistently instead of letting it get low, and then charge it back up, rinse and repeat.

Honestly though, pounding your sounds with the car off is never a good idea unless you have a 12v power supply. If you're just talking about car shows, just be sure to monitor your voltage and don't put your system at risk.

yes, every time you discharge a battery it gets weaker. so if they get drained on a daily basis you will have dead batteries pretty soon. but i think you mean this just for shows and that will work fine. install a voltage meter and have fun.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Yea the battery charger will be able to charge the batteries when you plug it in, but here's the problem. Those 15-30 mins a day you drive you are going to be draining your batteries without recharging them. Then later you'll recharge them. Keep doing this cycle daily and the batteries aren't going to perform as intended. The alternator is there to keep the voltage up and be sure that the battery voltage stays above a certain level so you don't damage your battery.

Next think about what that low voltage will do to your system. You start dipping into the 10's and all of the sudden your amps go up in smoke and take your subs down with it. Now do you want that to happen? The alternator will keep your voltage at a good level consistently instead of letting it get low, and then charge it back up, rinse and repeat.

Honestly though, pounding your sounds with the car off is never a good idea unless you have a 12v power supply. If you're just talking about car shows, just be sure to monitor your voltage and don't put your system at risk.

So if the alterator is there to keep the voltage up and be sure that the battery voltage stays above a certain level so you don't damage your battery, wouldnt that be the same purpose of the charger? Also about the voltage drop wouldnt that stay consistent if batteries are being 'smart charged'? Why would voltage drop to low 10's or even 10's if the batteries are being charged and maintained by charger, which does the exact same thing as alternator? I mean Im not saying that one would be siting down blasting music away for hours at a time when car is not on, but I just want to know if it can be done safely without damaging electrical. Also you said that the batteries will not perform as intended if they are they are drained and then recharged but I thought that deep cycle batteries liked this and actually performed batter under these conditions....

Edited by Mac58

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

Two Fi-BTL 15's

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

The difference is that the charger is only doing it's job while it is plugged in. The alternator is doing it's job while the car is running. So while you are driving 15-30 mins a day, your charger is not charging your batteries they are only going to be getting 50-100 amps from your stock alternator. Your batteries are not going to be charged again until you get home and plug it in.

Edit: Actually even less than that because of the normal draw of your vehicle. Yes deep cycle batteries can hold up to being discharged and charged, but if you are pounding your system on a stock alternator your batteries voltage is going to drop when your amp starts to draw massive amounts of current. For example in my car with stock alternator, big 3, and 2 yellow tops with an Audioque 1200d I've seen my voltage drop into the 10's when I pound the lows (alternator is old as hell, probably dying out on me). Then once I turn it down the voltage will shoot right back up of course, but not all equipment will like that voltage drop.

Edited by fr34kout

yes, every time you discharge a battery it gets weaker. so if they get drained on a daily basis you will have dead batteries pretty soon. but i think you mean this just for shows and that will work fine. install a voltage meter and have fun.

yea kinda and daily. Not like blast system at full tilt daily but more like 10-15% system tilt daily, 100% tilt at shows thanx for your help!

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

Two Fi-BTL 15's

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

The difference is that the charger is only doing it's job while it is plugged in. The alternator is doing it's job while the car is running. So while you are driving 15-30 mins a day, your charger is not charging your batteries they are only going to be getting 50-100 amps from your stock alternator. Your batteries are not going to be charged again until you get home and plug it in.

Edit: Actually even less than that because of the normal draw of your vehicle. Yes deep cycle batteries can hold up to being discharged and charged, but if you are pounding your system on a stock alternator your batteries voltage is going to drop when your amp starts to draw massive amounts of current. For example in my car with stock alternator, big 3, and 2 yellow tops with an Audioque 1200d I've seen my voltage drop into the 10's when I pound the lows (alternator is old as hell, probably dying out on me). Then once I turn it down the voltage will shoot right back up of course, but not all equipment will like that voltage drop.

Ok I understand what you are saying. so what about when system is not at full tilt daily when car is running? It would be fine then right?

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

Two Fi-BTL 15's

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

Yea if you keep it at a reasonable level, you'll be fine. Install a voltmeter so you can see how your voltage fluctuates. You might notice your voltage drop .2-.5 at half volume or so, and since your battery bank looks like it'll be pretty solid with the car running you might see your voltage drop down into the 12's. But you also have to remember this, while running your alternator is charging your batteries and that's where you get the ~14.4 volts from. Just sitting with the car off your battery is probably under or right at 13 volts, mine sits at 12.5.

Edit: When I said into the 12's I meant full tilt.

Edited by fr34kout

yey i would defiantly get a voltage meter i use a stinger voltage meter and a xstatic batcap battery charger it could not hurt to get a ho alternator and high end charger

people who have bought from me Team Bassick (ALPINE) Purplehaze nidus

head unit sony dsx-s310btx
subs 2 12 incriminator audio king of bass
subs amp incriminator audio 20.1
mids/highs
mids/highs amp incriminator audio 6.4
equalizer clarion
crossover interfire
alternator 1 mechman 240amp
battery's xs power 1 d2100 2 d3100
sky high car audio 1/0 awg ofc wires

memphis car audio 1/0 ofc