HO alternator vs. Battey Charger

Yea if you keep it at a reasonable level, you'll be fine. Install a voltmeter so you can see how your voltage fluctuates. You might notice your voltage drop .2-.5 at half volume or so, and since your battery bank looks like it'll be pretty solid with the car running you might see your voltage drop down into the 12's. But you also have to remember this, while running your alternator is charging your batteries and that's where you get the ~14.4 volts from. Just sitting with the car off your battery is probably under or right at 13 volts, mine sits at 12.5.

Edit: When I said into the 12's I meant full tilt.

Thanx! O and BTW I have a stinger voltmeter installed. At full tilt my system goes to high 11's with car off. It sits at about 12.7-13 volts before car and system is turned on

Edited by Mac58

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

RF Components (5 1/4, 6 1/2, 6x9 x 2)

Two Fi-BTL 15's

One RF T1500-1bd Amplifier

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

n1313997399_261991_8239-1.jpg

it could not hurt to get a ho alternator and high end charger

yes it could... it could hurt my pockets :pardon:

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

Two Fi-BTL 15's

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

so you know, even with the charger hooked up you can still have voltage drop. if the system draws more current than the charger can supply then its only a mater of time before the batteries drain. as they lose power your voltage drops. at this point your charger is just trying to charge the batteries but it cant because the system is taking all its capacity. also note that each battery takes 10amps. so it you add 5 batteries and get a 60amp charger you only have 10amps left over for your system. the rest of the draw comes straight from the batts... hope that makes sense lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

so you know, even with the charger hooked up you can still have voltage drop. if the system draws more current than the charger can supply then its only a mater of time before the batteries drain. as they lose power your voltage drops. at this point your charger is just trying to charge the batteries but it cant because the system is taking all its capacity. also note that each battery takes 10amps. so it you add 5 batteries and get a 60amp charger you only have 10amps left over for your system. the rest of the draw comes straight from the batts... hope that makes sense lol.

? No Im not saying to have the charger connected to system while playing, then it would serve as a low end shitty alternator. :lol: . Im saying to charge batteries overnight or whenever Im not using car, not during system play.

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

Two Fi-BTL 15's

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

yey when i ran 2 kinetik 2400 and a stock alternator and got about 14.4 volts when i did not have the system up and i don't remember how many volts i got when i had the system

people who have bought from me Team Bassick (ALPINE) Purplehaze nidus

head unit sony dsx-s310btx
subs 2 12 incriminator audio king of bass
subs amp incriminator audio 20.1
mids/highs
mids/highs amp incriminator audio 6.4
equalizer clarion
crossover interfire
alternator 1 mechman 240amp
battery's xs power 1 d2100 2 d3100
sky high car audio 1/0 awg ofc wires

memphis car audio 1/0 ofc
xs power xs flex 4 awg

sky high car audio 8 gauge ofc

sky high car audio 12 gauge ofc

t spec rca

check out my building log http://www.stevemead...frey-build-log/

http://www.stevemead...d-other-things/

check out audio gear i have for sale
http://www.stevemead...51#entry1595151

Mechman_300x100px-2.jpg

3d7304fe.jpg

header3-1.gif

SkyHighCarAudio_zps27302c94.png

I'm into car audio & I also live off the grid on a solar system, so I deal with draining batts on a daily basis.

I can basically tell you this, if you get quality deep cycle batts and keep them charged (like everynight) you should be fine.

I have four, 6 volt, 400 amp hour deep cycle batts that run my whole house. They are wired two 24 volts. I run a 37 inch flatscreen, luxury gas oven, lights, full size electric refrigerator, etc.

I also have a Honda EU3000 generator hooked up to an Outback pure sinewave inverter/charger.

I run my generator 3 hours a day when I get home from work and that lasts me till the next day after work.

What I'm trying to say is if you drain your batterys and then charge them in a timely manor, you'll be fine. If you discharge then wait too long to top them off, that's when you cause damage.

About the alternator, if your ever at any time using a stock alt to charge a very large DEAD battery bank, you will kill it and find yourself buying an HO very soon.

Edited by typicaljawaiian

Ok guys thanx for all the useful input! :drinks:

Current build:

Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

Soundstream EQ

Two Fi-BTL 15's

T400-4bd

XS Power 608

XS Power D1200

Optima Yellow top 34

Soon to come:

Another RF T1500-1bd

HO Alt

1-6 more XS power 680

Team D.M.V

I'm glad you brought this up. They are kinda two different uses.

I see chargers used more frequently with a burp setup. But bassrace its important to keep the voltage up for those 30 seconds so u dont damage your equipment, so a HO alt would be of a better help there. But u have the right idea.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D