Second Skin Audio

what makes a sub good?

new topic becouse its differnt yet similar to my other one

ok thing is i wana re build my hifonics 12s to make them way better becouse ones blown and the other ones on its way what can i do while keeping the stock motor "maybe unsure if i can even find another one to work" bet deff stock cone and basket.

i was thinking of double stacked or more cones to make the sub stiffer idk how this would make anything better but none the less as well as double spider. what are the benifits if any in doing that. currently the sub needs a new coil the stock one was a duel 4 ohm 300w rms and 600 peak id like to make those numbers real but i need someone who can build a coil to what i need." i am unsure of specs currently i need to tare apart the sub that is working but do not want to do so untill i get something else to beat around with.

but even if you dont wana read all that tell me some things that make a sub good aside from box tuning ect. just parts to make a good sub

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

quality of parts, design of woofer, and build quality make a sub good or bad.

Doubling cone? no, dont do that.

A good cone will match to your suspension. Most of the time you want a strong, stiff, rigid yet light cone. Carbon fiber tends to be top of the line. Pressed paper is good too. Lightweight is important.

A straight cone is better for SPL whereas a parabolic shape is better for SQ.

Suspension parts must be tuned for your cone, coil, and motor. Simply adding spiders is not good. There are various types of spiders made of different materials that have different tensions, stiffnesses, rate of rolls, and sizes. Best to match type and qty to the tension of suspension you want for your motor force and cone and coil weight.

Coils are important for power handling and weight. There are a few different type of material. Copper is basic but has good SQ characteristics as well as can be made for good power handling. Aluminum is lighter and great with heat, but raises Fs of a driver.

Basically a good design has well balanced parts. Finding that balance can take years of experience and knowledge of materials and woofer engineering.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

so how should i seriosly go about doing this i mean ideally the sub should be perfect the way it is but how can i improve it

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

so how should i seriosly go about doing this i mean ideally the sub should be perfect the way it is but how can i improve it

just buy a sub that works for you. there is not a "perfect" subwoofer on the market, because everybody likes different things. Unless you are extremely smart and have a very bizarre tool collection, you aren't going to make Hifonics 12's better. I have two Hifonics HFi's in my car and I do not plan on making them "better", I just plan on adding 4 more. Try building a new box, thats as close as you will get to "improving" the things.

What model is it?

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

its a really low end model but i atleast wana get a new coil and spider and put it back together at the least its the same one that a guy on here has 10 of

if they are Funky Pups, chances are, they are good. And I only say this because they put out over 200 Deeee Beeeez

:orly3: x2 haha i read this and just knew a funky pup comment was coming lol

DSBP_blue.jpg

parton226

Its the HFI?

Is that a 2" coil.

You cant really make an entry level sub better without basically building an entirely new woofer.

The motor is very small and just adding spiders would reduce efficiency and most likely raise Fs, taking away SQ potential.

You can add a taller coil if they exist, but again that would reduce efficiency for the sake of adding 10% more power handling.

I say, buy a new motor and a frame that can handle larger spiders and has more clearance for cone travel. Basically, use a different woofer.

If you are just experimenting, that good. But that woofer is not a good platform, get a good 3" coil motor to play around with.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist