Mac Mini Questions. (Update: Display Adapter Questions)

Cool, congrats! Once you get familiar with the mac, can you make a post of what OS you like more and why? I'm thinking about making the switch too

No prob! This is my very first time EVER using a Mac but I'm pretty good with getting the hang of technology. I've used Windows 98, XP, Vista, & 7 (Which is nice IMO).

I'll be playing with every button and function all day when it comes this upcoming week and tell y'all what I think of it in this thread.

tech2332.png

My Official Feedback Thread

PSN - tech2332

Games for PS3: Killzone 2, BattleField: Bad Company 2! Add me to play either!

So I'm getting a Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter to connect this to my current monitor. And from time to time I'm also gonna use my Mac Mini on my Panasonic 37" LCD TV. What's better a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter or a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter for the TV? Is there any major difference? I know sound won't come out but I'll be using external speakers.

tech2332.png

PSN - tech2332

So I'm getting a Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter to connect this to my current monitor. And from time to time I'm also gonna use my Mac Mini on my Panasonic 37" LCD TV. What's better a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter or a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter for the TV? Is there any major difference? I know sound won't come out but I'll be using external speakers.

I'm pretty sure VGA and hdmi show the same resolutions. Most flatscreens play both. Most monitors I've connected have VGA, and no hdmi input.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

Alright... SO I got my Mini and Wireless Logitech DiNovo Keyboard now (Which I recommend compared to Apples Wireless Keyboard for many reasons). And I have 4 words: I Am In Love. MAN is this thing FAST! I got the 2.26 GHz with 2 GB RAM and it opens applications like nothing!

Second, I like this Mac interface. Although I'm still getting used to it, it feels easier to me. One thing that's a little confusing the when you push "X" to close a window it doesn't necessarily close, it minimizes/resets it. To close it you have to go through the top task bar and quit the program or right click it on the dock and click quit. Also the top Bar "Adjusts" to the program you're using, which is another little detail that's different. To those interested in Mac go to the Apple Website and watch the videos showing the basics of Mac and making it easier for you to switch from Windows to a Mac.

I definitely recommend Mac to those who haven't tried it. And if you have an outdated computer, then getting a Mac Mini will definitely be an upgrade.

YouTube 720P plays smoothly. I'm surprised there isn't vids showing the Mac Mini playing HD YouTube/Online content.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.

tech2332.png

PSN - tech2332

Guest DC Power Kyle

Glad you like the mac. After I made the switch from windows to mac... never went back. Now I got a MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac Mini in the car.

Thanks for the review. I may go out and buy one now!

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

YouTube 720P plays smoothly. I'm surprised there isn't vids showing the Mac Mini playing HD YouTube/Online content.

Couple things... First off HD flash on a Mac is horrible. Adobe hasn't accelerated the flash player for OSX yet. In Windows the beta builds of Flash use your GPU to accelerate flash. However, if you go to youtube.com/html5 you can opt in to the html5 beta (same process to opt out so bookmark it) and using Safari (won't work with Firefox) that is smooth as silk.

Thanks for the review. I may go out and buy one now!

If you're going to get one get a referbished Macbook instead. They come with the same warranty as a new MB and are around the same price as a loaded Mini. The Mini (and iMac) are both laptops. While they don't share the laptop form factor they share the same parts.

I've used a MB part time at home for 18 months and there is no way in hell I could have "made the switch" simply because I'm in IT (well until I just got laid off) and there are just far too many programs that are Windows only. I love my MB, but the truth of the matter is you can get a faster Windows machine for far less. You also have to pay for what at times feels like everything under the sun.

In order to make the switch get a copy of VMWare Fusion with your Mac. It will allow you to run Windows in a Window should you need Windows apps or launch apps directly in their own Window. While there are alternatives for all of the major apps out there on OSX, they are more expensive, less feature rich (sans video and image editing).

OSX is easier to use, but that is because it is an OS that lacks the facilities to allow the same kind of customization Windows does and it does add a hefty premium to the sticker of a PC.

You can't go wrong either way, but for most people the number one reason to stick with Windows (or Linux) is free and or cheap software. If you do go Mac keep an eye on http://www.macheist.com/ they have dirt cheap software bundles now and again.

i was first person on earth to run mac mini in vehicle

Considering how long carputers have been around that's like being the first person on planet earth to drive offroad in the a new black F150 Raptor...

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts