Sundown Audio

RCA wire meltdown!!

Kinser

Hey Guy, name is David new to the SMD forum!

Little Intro on my system before i start...

Sub, TC Sounds 12" DVC TC2000 in a 74L ported box tuned to 26Hz IIRC running on a Mac Audio Fearless 1000 Monoblock.

HU, Pioneer DEH-P5950, JBL Components running on a crap 4ch amp.

stock electrical system.

story goes like this.. about a year i had both amps running straight off my PSP, had no HU back then. one day the RCA wire coming from the Mac Audio just melted down, replaced it and worked fine.

while after that hooked up a friends HU, the idiot uped the volume before i had a chance to lower the gain and the internal ground wire from the PCB to the RCA jacks burned out. replaced that and the amp worked fine. got the Pioneer HU a couple of months ago. the pico fuse went POP so i did the ghetto fix grounding the RCA's to the HU body, worked fine after that.

this morning on my way to work, playing Late Night Tip, the 4ch amp touched the mono block, head a thump from the sub, next thing the sub RCA's wire started melting and burning about a foot away from the HU. switched it all off pulled out the fuses and carried on to work.

i suspect that the mono block is trying to ground itself through the RCA jack on the amp. cant understand why though, got a 2 gauge healthy ground wire on a nice smooth spot on the floor-pan.

dunno what to do anymore, ran out of ideas!

appreciate any help :)

Thanks,

David

Have you tried running your ground straight to the battery? And upgrade your wire to at least 1/0 gauge.

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

No i haven't.. i thought the ground should be kept as short as possible.

thats usually true. where is the wire grounded to? it must be a "clean" area free of paint and rust..

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

Thats not always true. If you have a large enough gauge wire the resistance is minimal. Besides sheet metal does NOT give a good ground no matter how clean it is.

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

I got it bolted down under the rear seats on the floor pan, sanded the paint off in the area. clean as hell!

I don't think i can fin a cleaner spot in the rear of the car.

i have never once burnt out a set of RCAs, so i guess i cant help too much.

it sounds odd that this amp has done it multiple times, even with different head units.

have you considered swapping the amp out for something else?

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

i have never once burnt out a set of RCAs, so i guess i cant help too much.

it sounds odd that this amp has done it multiple times, even with different head units.

have you considered swapping the amp out for something else?

I wish I could, would go for a Sundown SAZ-1500D.. But the small amount of cash i do have at the moment pays the bills.. lol

I've just put the amp back in (took it out and opened it up to investigate.. all seems well, been through it with the DMM), but for some darn reason the amp is grounding itself through the RCA's..

As i put the fuse back in near to the Battery, the RCA AND the HU ground wire started to heat up. maybe i should connect it straight to the battery after all.. funny though how it happens suddenly like that.

David

You may have an internal issue with the ground in the amp or a real shitty ground for the amp. Amps will ground through the RCA to help equalize the difference in ohms from one unit to another. This helps keep the noise down in the system as a whole.

What i would do first is really make sure your power and grounds are properly done. Seat bolts and floor pans suck for grounds. Typically I like to see a full run of ground back up to the front battery. However you can use the frame of the car and then reground the front battery to the frame. If it is a unibody car then your screwed. The the only way to get a good ground is a new full run.

Next take a old pair of rca's and strip off the outer shield. Just use the center pins and isolate the grounds from the source unit to the amp. This can and often times creates noise, but eliminates the amp from grounding through the deck. If after you do both these things and the amp still has issues then it's going to be the amp.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)