So my car just took a dump- What Should I Do?

Yea its a 1997 buick skylark 3.1 V6 I should hear back from my bro tom or the day after.

But any help at all is appreciated. I was really hoping to keep this car running to go to shows and stuff, seeing as now i can use a dif car as a daily driver- i could give a wall or 4th order a shot :P

Thanks alot though,

P4Killer

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

One thing I wouldn't worry about in that is the TCC Solenoid if its Stuck OFF. My Caddy throw P0741 so basically it doesn't lock up at highway speeds causing the RPM to be about 200-300 higher than normal therefore losing 1mpg. Not a huge issue, in my Caddy is a $20 part surrounded by hundreds of dollars in labor

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

• 2 weeks later...

So I been busy, and havnt had too much time to look into this. But I got a hold of my bro today, and he said he talked to 3 different techs at his shop and they all said w/o actually seeing the car etc.. it sounds like the computer is throwing codes, and its likely the ECU is in a bad way.

He said I could have it towed to the the dealer, and likely pay 800-1000+ to have things fixed or he could order me an ECU preflashed for my car for around $200, but he has to look up the prices still and get back to me.

I was reading online, and most threads Ive read lead me to believe ECU's are swappable provided its the same model car of course. The only problem being that the VIN wont match under inspection for emmisions. Some people have said they have swapped, passed emmissions no prob, others say thier state is tough on making sure the VIN matches DOL Records.

My question is could I just grab an ECU from another 3.1 V6 Skylark in the Pull-a-Part lot and swap it in?

I could just take it to the the dealer and pay to have it reprogrammed for like $90 my brother said, but I was under the assumption that my car wouldnt run w/o it being reprogrammed.. but if another will work and I could drive to the dealer instead of towing it there...

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

P4Killer

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

So I called up my local scrap yard, i got some stuff from them before and it was all good but the got an ECU for me for $50

and the dealer wants $120 to reprogram

so I pulled my comp out today, hopefully get the new one in and rollin tom.

The one i have now, the car runs so ima just plug it up and drive up the street to the dealer plug up the new one, and have it programmed.

Hopefully this fixes it, and if nothing else will clear things up so i can really look into the problem.

31832_456923632795_527012795_6100712_234480_n.jpg

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

picked up a used computer off a 1997 3.1 grand am. exact number match. Dropped it in, starts up then stalls out after a few seconds so it needs to be flashed.

I could use my old comp and nurse it up to the dealer, swap it out and pay them to flash it.

hopefully it works

:P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Those codes look like it was your system that caused it. Most mentioned low voltage and stuff. It looks like your system dropped the voltage for extended periods of time which made a higher load across your computer. I'd fix it before installing the new one.

Edited by Reallunacy

Well, thanks for the reply

to be honest though on a daily basis I dont play full tilt, and voltage doesnt drop much at all like 13.8 or so every once in awhile ill see something in the 12's 12.9~12.6 but thats it. Ive got my max volume set at 47 out of 62 and all the way up to volume 44-45 there is almost no voltage drop. its the last 2-3 clicks where I could have some nasty drop depending on the song/ note.

I was using my exide standup battery charger to charge my back bank of batts and my local tech says that could have done it.

every time you jump start another car using cables from bat to bat or charge your battery without having a surge supressor in the line, you computer takes a small hit.

So I would charge the bats, take the charger off for a few minutes and charge for a few more min, idk i did this a few times (3), maybe that did it.

I posted on here, about what settings to use for the charger, no replies really :/

again though, thanks for the reply

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

I just go rid of a 95 century with this exact problem change the TPS and your cat converter too they're probably bad too

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)