Infinite baffle sub woofer

is it untrue that IB subs hit way lower than subs meant for vented or sealed enclosures? or is it the very fact that it is mounted in an infinite baffle that gives it its low frequency response? Either way, for a 10 x 12 room. what would you recommend then for getting the lowest possible response?

I'd say it's the fact that it's a IB setup that gives it low response, not the woofer used.

IB will give the lowest response, but I think 1 15" won't work well in a IB because it doesn't have enough cone area, most IB setups have at least 4 15"s. I'd say ported if you can only have 1 15".

IMO the best IB website: http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/index.cgi

Check out the build logs.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

So in other words the only way to get low responce is through lots of woofers? I'm looking to get mid to low 20's here. If there is any other option I m all ears :)

Pretty much, there are exceptions, but they would be rather impractical. HT boxes should be tuned in the low 20s so the woofers don't bottom out with explosions etc.

How much room have you got for a box? Because you said you can't do IB eh?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

More woofers = more output. But, that is more output at all frquencies below the crossover point, so while it will be louder, it may still sound like the low end is lacking if not designed properly.

Low response will depend on the driver used and box design.

The exception would be using a lot of cone area and then filtering out everything except the really low bass.

IB woofers are designed assuming they will run free air. Just buy something like a Fi Q. Put it in ~8 cuft tuned to 20 Hz. Works great - I just finished building one for a customer.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Well as stated it's a 10x12' room. And I got lots of space behind me and under my desk. If need be, I may also use it for a studio sub as well. As I don't feel like spending 3000 dollars on a 12 inch. Might as well make my own eh? So what do you recommend? Basically, idc much about loudness, just as long as it's the same loudness over a wide range of bass frequencies. I was thinking maybe 2 10's in push pull sealed box... But I haven't had much experience with subs. So I really need your help.

If you really wanna do an IB setup, you can build a sealed box thats around 10 to 15 times the recommended size and it will give about the same results.

but if your gonna waste all that room id rather do something like a 15 to 20hz tline. If its for movies.

Ive got a single 10 in a 19hz tline in my living room and its crazy for a 10

Archived