Sonic Electronix

Quick question for you guys. I want to build a subs up port back enclosure for my 2-L712's but my problem is, I am looking @ the Kicker manual and it has the dimensions for 1 slot port. I am using 2 subs but I only want 1 port. Do I just double the port size or what??? Kickers dimensions are (3"x13.25"x14.5") I want to build the big box, 3.25 cubes per sub. Any help would be appreciated.

[bASS TRIXX/font]

You can't just double measurement unfortunately, you have to redesign the box.

What exactly do you mean? I am going by the manual from KICKER. It says to use a 3.25 cube box with a 3x13.25x14.5 port. I am using 2 L7 12's and i want to have only one port. How do I convert the port calculations for each sub to come up with one port? i am new to all of this so any help for the newb would be great. Thanks.

[bASS TRIXX/font]

What exactly do you mean? I am going by the manual from KICKER. It says to use a 3.25 cube box with a 3x13.25x14.5 port. I am using 2 L7 12's and i want to have only one port. How do I convert the port calculations for each sub to come up with one port? i am new to all of this so any help for the newb would be great. Thanks.

try this

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#porsq

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/38791-torres-box-tuning-calculator-updated-310/

download the calc in there, open it up and put 3 for the # of common port walls (if you want a slot and not a square), .75 for the baffle thickness, w/e the sub displacement is in cubic feet for both woofers (says in the manual most likely). play around with the box size but for the port height, make sure its 1.5" LESS than the height of the box. and play around with the port width and length.

and i always tell this to EVERYONE that i recommend this program to, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PORT AREA IS A NUMBER THAT IS BETWEEN THE 2 NUMBERS GIVEN IN THE PORT AREA RANGE. i honestly see 100% of the people i recommend this program to fuck it up, even when i TELL them to look out for that. but you generally want around 14sqin per cubic foot but 12-16 is the generalized minimum/maximum.

edit: and when you finally find a design you settled on, brace the box with a wooden dowel or 2 up and down and all thread rod for left to right and front to back. you want to eliminate all box flex possible.

Edited by Kranny

If the manual says 3.25 cubes per sub then you are looking for a roughly 6.5 cube box. Now, you need to figure out the port, and if that 3.25cube box includes the volume for the port (if it does, you need to figure out the volume the actual subs need to see.. prob closer to 2.5-2.75 cubes per sub... if that.) Then the port area should be around 12-16 sq in. per cu. ft, and the length needs to be calculated using the formula or with a box calculator. Also, that length is going to depend on where you want the box tuned to. Whatever port size you end up with, has a volume, you have to add that to your sub box volume, figure dimensions that work, etc.

Its a lot more work than just doubling port size or volume unfortunately. Theres a lot of people better than me on here with this but hopefully that helps a little bit

Kenwood DDX 514

DD M3a

DD 9512G

RF 600.4

RF power series 6x8s

lots of zero ga.

Whats coming: Kenwood Excelon screen, DD high end comps, DD 4ch, XS batteries

If the manual says 3.25 cubes per sub then you are looking for a roughly 6.5 cube box. Now, you need to figure out the port, and if that 3.25cube box includes the volume for the port (if it does, you need to figure out the volume the actual subs need to see.. prob closer to 2.5-2.75 cubes per sub... if that.) Then the port area should be around 12-16 sq in. per cu. ft, and the length needs to be calculated using the formula or with a box calculator. Also, that length is going to depend on where you want the box tuned to. Whatever port size you end up with, has a volume, you have to add that to your sub box volume, figure dimensions that work, etc.

Its a lot more work than just doubling port size or volume unfortunately. Theres a lot of people better than me on here with this but hopefully that helps a little bit

Lots of knowledge from you guys. I really appreciate you guys sharing the passion with me. I am going to mess arround with the calculator for a while and I will post what ever comes of it. I will make sure to ack for further assistance in the future. Thanks.

[bASS TRIXX/font]

Sweet! Let me see if I got this right. All I have to do is put in the volume of my box, choose whatever Hz my little heart desires, choose height,width and it magicly appears? Sweet!

you dont know how much port area though. you cant just plug in numbers and expect it to work. thats why i recommended Torres' calc. it tells you all you need to know.

you dont know how much port area though. you cant just plug in numbers and expect it to work. thats why i recommended Torres' calc. it tells you all you need to know.

Thanks bro. This knowledge is priceless.

[bASS TRIXX/font]