Sonic Electronix

I have an Alpine CDA-9813 (I know it's old but it gets the job done) and a Polk Audio 1100.5 amplifier. I'm trying to set the gain levels on the amplifier but I have a few questions and there is so many different things on Youtube that I'm not sure what is best. I'm using a 0 dB 40 Hz test tone to set the sub level and a 0 dB 1kHz test tone for the highs. I have read that you set the head unit volume to 2/3 or 3/4 the total volume (Max volume is 35 for my particular model) and slowly increase the gain on the amp until just before the signal clips on the o-scope. That part I get. This is probably a stupid question but what I would like to know is, as far as the volume level on the head unit wouldn't you want it set as high as possible before setting the gain on the amp so you have a "hotter" signal going into the amp? I saw on Steve Meade's Youtube example he talks about setting his volume just a few clicks short of full volume. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I figured if anyone knew it would be SMD forum members.

yep, HU's clip too. i think alpines start to clip around 27 but thats off memory of what some one else said. ive never tested them. sounds like you have a scope so just plug the rca into the scope and test it too.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

No because you could send a clipped single from you HU to your amp.

That's what i expected however i tried it and when I had the o-scope hooked up off the amp with the amp gains turned down I played the test tones and it didn't clip at all. Even when I turned it up to 35 (maximum volume). I guess thats why I'm confused.

That's what i expected however i tried it and when I had the o-scope hooked up off the amp with the amp gains turned down I played the test tones and it didn't clip at all. Even when I turned it up to 35 (maximum volume). I guess thats why I'm confused.

Hook up your oscope to the RCAs running to your amp and play the test tone till your single clips, slowly increasing the volume, if it dont clip and you have it cranked all the way up then you HU wont be sending a clipped single. If it does start to clip, note what volume it starts to clip at and make a mental note not to turn it up past that. Then set you amp gains accordingly

yep, HU's clip too. i think alpines start to clip around 27 but thats off memory of what some one else said. ive never tested them. sounds like you have a scope so just plug the rca into the scope and test it too.

I have always thought it was 27 or 28 but I couldn't get the signal to clip off the RCA's or through the amp with the gains turned down and volume @ 35. I wanted to basically see when the deck would start to clip the signal and it wouldn't do it. It kind of threw me off because I have not seen a deck before that didn't start to clip the signal at high volumes.

Hook up your oscope to the RCAs running to your amp and play the test tone till your single clips, slowly increasing the volume, if it dont clip and you have it cranked all the way up then you HU wont be sending a clipped single. If it does start to clip, note what volume it starts to clip at and make a mental note not to turn it up past that. Then set you amp gains accordingly

Is it normal for a head unit to not clip the signal at all? I would expect it to at some point.

what was the sub level on the deck at? on alpines if it isnt all the way up then its taking away signal. so 15 is really like 0 and 0 is -15.

i forgot to mention, when you do your mids/highs use the lowest tone you want them to play. if you set it at 1khz you will see clipping around 300hz and below. maybe sooner. i have a video showing this on the scope. eighty-100hz would be a good tone to use.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Is it normal for a head unit to not clip the signal at all? I would expect it to at some point.

Well in meades video his stereo clipped just short of being turned all the way up. My buddys can be turned all the way up without sending a clipped single.

what was the sub level on the deck at? on alpines if it isnt all the way up then its taking away signal. so 15 is really like 0 and 0 is -15.

i forgot to mention, when you do your mids/highs use the lowest tone you want them to play. if you set it at 1khz you will see clipping around 300hz and below. maybe sooner. i have a video showing this on the scope. eighty-100hz would be a good tone to use.

Cool :good: ! Thank you for that bit of info about the sub level. I was kind of curious about that because with it set to 0 it just seemed like it was real weak. I also didn't know about using a lower frequency for gain settings on the highs.

Well in meades video his stereo clipped just short of being turned all the way up. My buddys can be turned all the way up without sending a clipped single.

OK, I was wondering if maybe something was wrong with my head unit or something.

:woot: Thank you all that replied for the help!! stevemeadedesigns.com and it's members are the SHIT!! Thanks again! :woot: