carputer experts?

hello, I'm throwing around the idea of dropping a carputer into my 2003 gti. I'm pondering buying a premade barebone on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ITX-Carputer-Intel-D510MO-M2-ATX-2GB-RAM-/160401193370?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2558a7f99a#ht_4720wt_740 )

and my question is, where/what touchscreen should I get and where can I find a trim piece like this one http://store.mp3car.com/Double_Din_Bolt_in_Kit_with_the_7_629_Lilliput_To_p/dsh-016-0001.htm

that will fit my double din. my interior has brushed alum so that trim piece would match perfectly. Also do most all gps antennas connect via usb?

lastly, does anyone use solely the carputer for a headunit ie. volume control? maybe I could find a after market usb knob that would adjust volume.

Thanks for any input/suggestions/comments in advance.

sig.jpg

jl 12w7 ported @ 2cubes at 38hz

rockford fosgate t1500bd

volume knob......griffin powermate usb multimedia controller, i would go with the mac mini with a carnetix powersupply...www.mp3car.com sells the double din touchscreens with housings that will go into any double din space, you would have to buy a metra double din kit or possibly use factory radio brackets, or a combo of the two...and of course get power to the monitor....xenarc makes nice touch screens as well, but im not sure bout double din ones....the lilliputs on mp3 car range from 250 to 300.00...also the barebones computer you were looking at, you would need to add hard drive and operating system and other things.....you can build it up completely at www.mo-co-so.com...they can get pricy though up to 1000.00 fully loaded...

i looked around and found a single din flipout carputer for pretty cheap for all the features it has. look up single din carputer on google they have some pretty cool single dins available

1998 Jeep Wrangler Tj Sport 4.0L

Headunit:Pioneer AVIC-N2

Front Speakers:Boston 746

Rear Speakers:Boston CX-6

Speaker Amp:Kenwood KAC-526

Subwoofer:Kicker Free Air Competition 8inch

Subwoofer Amp:Kenwood KAC-428s

Wiring:Stinger 4&8 Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 16G

Big3 in 4 guage stinger and two 8 gauge stinger wire

Rockford Fosgate Battery Terminals,Connections and Distro Block

Rockford Fosgate Signal Cables

*UPGRADE COMING SOON ONCE SUBS AND AMPS ARE DECIDED*

New Subs Two Sundown SD1V2 10's

For step is to really and I mean really check out www.mp3car.com. Your gonna get a lot of the question you have answered over there from people that have actually done the deal with these carpcs. For volume knobs I know that Audiogy makes a usb sound card with an external volume knob, but your going to need a dc to dc power supply with ignition shutoff in order to make your carpc the only source unit in your ride. As for monitors, I've been looking at the ones over on www.short-circuit.com, since I want to go with motorized 7' flip out for my setup. They have the one used by thermaltake on their site. The Xenarc on mp3car is nearly double the price and isn't motorized.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

Archived