Second Skin Audio

Fiberglass Box In Reg Cab Truck

95_1500

I have a 95 regular cab chevy silverado with four 10's behind the seats, fully mdf sealed. I just bought a 12" audiobahn eternal and built a sealed mdf box between two bucket seats (took out my bench). They cancel each other out, i know i shoulda listened. Well that big ass box between the seats is at the max sealed volume but im still not too pleased. I was wondering if i took out my 10's, could i build a box with the help of fiberglass that was like truck boxes behind the seats (the angled ones) and then in all one box brought it together and ran it up between the seats like a T shape. I plan to add another eternal and port this, i want the port to be right where the 2 straight lines of the T come together at the back wall between the seats. Would this not work with ported because its not say a square box? I would 45 all corners etc etc. I just didnt know if a ported box could be any shape and have the port anywhere bc of airflow and what not. My 4 boxes in the back are right at .51 internal volume including mdf. I think i could get to about a total of 2.25ft^3 atleast maybe a little more if i bring it up to the back window. I already achieved 2.25 with the box between the seats, if i fill in the gap that was left theres about another .5-1 ft^3 and some odds and ins with not using 1.5" of mdf. Now should i go by audiobahn's reccomended specs for the box or just... Get my max volume, take out displacements and design a port to match my tuning? Sorry so long but im really interested in this.

-Brett

u must didint see groundpounders cav build

Trust me i did... But like.. I think that if the port is right in the middle of 3 long chambers with the subs in one.. i would have to find an effective way to channel the air into the port like meade did when he demonstrated with the leaf blower. I guess it doesnt matter bc an enclosure is an enclosure no matter what the shape and its gonna push until it finds a hole to come out of and that would obviously be a port.. Thats how i thought earlier but i wanted some input from meade or like you said groundpounder or anyone who could gimme an answer

-Brett

It doesn't matter, you can have an odd shaped enclosure and still port it. And to be honest, 45's are cool and they serve their purpose, but in your case I'd salvage that volume and just not worry about them.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Archived