Second Skin Audio

Ported Enclosure Help?

pheint_1

Idk if you wanted it explained as a slot port on the side or in the middle, when you said "u-turn" you confused the hell out of me, I'll draw you an example of a center port in a second.

PortExplanaition.jpg

PortExplanaition2.jpg

If you don't understand something let me know.

AND I may not be correct, I have no professional experience, this is pretty much my common sense I guess.

Start out boxy, shape as you move along.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

sorry bro but i agree with neo_frog re calc is not really accurate and doesnt account sub disp., and so lets say i have a port length of 23" and a depth of 16 and a port width of 3, i would go 14.5in. back (not using front baffle as part of port length), and i would do a u turn and my second port length would be 7.75in. (using .75 of first port length) is this correct or do i have the whole concept wrong?

If you're using Torres' calc, it should give you everything you need as far as calculating dimensions for gross air space to include the port and subs.

If you're going to do a bend, you must maintain consistent port area throughout. Let's say you had a balloon that lightly touched the sides of the port while inside... It should be able to migrate all the way through the port never losing contact with those sides. If it does, then your port isn't going to be accurate.

A 90 degree bend is about as inefficient as you can get. If at all possible, try to do a 45 or a kerf cut to smooth out the transition. It will be easier to maintain port area as well without that awkward 90.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

If you're using Torres' calc, it should give you everything you need as far as calculating dimensions for gross air space to include the port and subs.

If you're going to do a bend, you must maintain consistent port area throughout. Let's say you had a balloon that lightly touched the sides of the port while inside... It should be able to migrate all the way through the port never losing contact with those sides. If it does, then your port isn't going to be accurate.

A 90 degree bend is about as inefficient as you can get. If at all possible, try to do a 45 or a kerf cut to smooth out the transition. It will be easier to maintain port area as well without that awkward 90.

Exactly what I was trying to explain with my pictures, I don't like explaining with words :ehh:

Dc Audio

Team Fur

lol yea sorry guys by the u turn i meant a bend, and vengfuldev yea i meant that for a slot port but that other enclosure you did, dont you devide port area by 2 when you do a bend to each side?

Yo despues que las asomo... papa tu sabes como es que somos esto es flores pa los muertos y pa' mis enemigos plomo la 9 nunca se turba cuando bajan por la curva no es que yo no salga es que ustedes no entran pa la urba de humacao - Cosculluela.

yea visual aids help me out alot thx for that

Yo despues que las asomo... papa tu sabes como es que somos esto es flores pa los muertos y pa' mis enemigos plomo la 9 nunca se turba cuando bajan por la curva no es que yo no salga es que ustedes no entran pa la urba de humacao - Cosculluela.

lol yea sorry guys by the u turn i meant a bend, and vengfuldev yea i meant that for a slot port but that other enclosure you did, dont you devide port area by 2 when you do a bend to each side?

I really have no clue man, that second one was purely a guess. Neo would prolly be able to tell you if he's still lurking this thread.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

oh i see, well i think ive heard that you devide by 2 but im completely lost too, is the first visual aid of the slot port accurate? i think it is, but then again im new to this, i just need confirmation.

Unfortunately, I can't see pictures at work so I don't know what you're describing. If you attach the pic in question, I'll be able to see it and explain it.

[email protected]

Great thread! *Sticky for noobs like me??

If this gets stickied, I'll blow up that original post with tons more info.

[email protected]

Archived