I need help with the positioning of my subs

okay, so I have 2 15 inch Kicker L7s in a vented box that barely fit into the trunk of my 1999 ford contour SE.

now... my problem is, i had them and still want to face them backwards out of the trunk. because it should be louder in the car and out of the car. because of the matured sound wave coming back into the car and if i open the trunk it will be loud as a bitch.

If i face them inwards, if someone were to break open the trunk there is no way you can steal or break the subs.

i am powering these subs with 2 alpine PDX 1000w RMS amps and I'm using all 0 gauge wire and i have an optima yellow cap battery.

would my sound be inhibited by facing the subs inward towards my car? because i dont want my 2000 dollar system harmed or stolen.

Edited by GoLoudOrGoHome

Face em inwards...and seal off the trunk. Should be louder. Win win situation. Unlesss.....seats fold down?

thanx bro i like this idea. im gunna face them inwards, but i dont need to seal off the trunk because you cant get to the speakers or even get them out.

but i was wondering what would change sound wise in the car and out of the car, by facing them inwards?

and how did you do your decibel rating in your profile?

You're gonna wanna seal the trunk off from the cabin. You'll gain dbs from it. Use expanding foam around the box. And the db rating is an automatic thing on the forum....goes along with how many posts you have

<u>99 Jimmy SLT 4WD</u>

Systemless.

<u>99 Grand Prix GTP</u>

DC XL 12 on 1.5k tuned lowwwwww.

okay, so I have 2 15 inch Kicker L7s in a vented box that barely fit into the trunk of my 1999 ford contour SE.

now... my problem is, i had them and still want to face them backwards out of the trunk. because it should be louder in the car and out of the car. because of the matured sound wave coming back into the car and if i open the trunk it will be loud as a bitch.

If i face them inwards, if someone were to break open the trunk there is no way you can steal or break the subs.

i am powering these subs with 2 alpine PDX 1000w RMS amps and I'm using all 0 gauge wire and i have an optima yellow cap battery.

would my sound be inhibited by facing the subs inward towards my car? because i dont want my 2000 dollar system harmed or stolen.

This really has me confused and makes no sense. As soon as a wave is created, it immediately starts losing energy in the form of sympathetic vibration of body panels and friction of air molecules. It doesn't mature necessarily, but depreciates due to loss of energy. The only "maturing" a wave does is die as soon as it's created. People mistake the loading and allowance of expansion of the wave with maturing.

If you face the subs backwards, you will be increasing the effective length of the port which will cause the enclosure to "seem" to play lower causing more vibration and seemingly play louder. Opening your trunk with the subs facing backwards wouldn't make anything louder because you'd have no return and nothing to load off of.

Tuning lower and facing subs into the cab would give you the same results, only louder.

thanx bro i like this idea. im gunna face them inwards, but i dont need to seal off the trunk because you cant get to the speakers or even get them out.

but i was wondering what would change sound wise in the car and out of the car, by facing them inwards?

and how did you do your decibel rating in your profile?

What would change is your response. It would yield higher frequencies much better since you wouldn't be loading off the rear of the car.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

This really has me confused and makes no sense. As soon as a wave is created, it immediately starts losing energy in the form of sympathetic vibration of body panels and friction of air molecules. It doesn't mature necessarily, but depreciates due to loss of energy. The only "maturing" a wave does is die as soon as it's created. People mistake the loading and allowance of expansion of the wave with maturing.

If you face the subs backwards, you will be increasing the effective length of the port which will cause the enclosure to "seem" to play lower causing more vibration and seemingly play louder. Opening your trunk with the subs facing backwards wouldn't make anything louder because you'd have no return and nothing to load off of.

Tuning lower and facing subs into the cab would give you the same results, only louder.

okay, this is what i needed. thanks. i understand all that. it seems louder as of more vibrations etc. which i understand. i really wanna face them inwards anyways. dont want them stolen or trashed.

i ment when im out of the car and i open the trunk facing outwards the subs would be rele loud.

Before when i had 350 watts rms per speaker, facing them inwards kinda sucked but at 1000 per speaker will that even matter then? also, by facing them inwards will it be louder out of the car as compared to inwards?

basically

i noticed this when i had 350 rms per speaker:

inwards:(cab) louder in cab :(out of car) not all that loud outside just a little rattling

outwards:(cab) less loud in cab : (out of car) ??? idk how loud it is outside compared to facing outwards.