Second Skin Audio

Can anyone explain this?

So long story short, someone turned my gain all the way up on my new amp and I didn't realize it until I noticed all my music sounded really dirty, right before my sub shut off. well I got really pissed, already knowing that my sub was gone, and checked the ohm load, it's supposed to be wired to 1 ohm, well I checked it and it said 19. So I took it out and checked both coils, one said 2 the other was going between .7 and 3 moderately fast(I have witnesses). Well I woke up this morning, in denial, and checked it again, first one said 2, second one said 2. took it and hooked each side up to the home stereo, both played. Now as happy as I am, I got pissed and posted a bunch of stuff on facebook about the person that turned my gain all the way up(childish I know, I removed it and apologized like 10 minutes after) so I'd like to know if anyone could explain what could have happened here.

Start out boxy, shape as you move along.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

well it sounds like a blown coil but maybe its just a bad solder joint on the terminals.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Your voltmeter was not on the right setting. Maybe the wires on the voltmeter are faulty? I say this cause my bro had some wires that were connected by magnet and the magnet was causing some rise and fall of the ohm reading. Glad they are ok man.

2012 GMC SIerra CC

System Build

Headunit--Stock

Sub Amp--DC 2.0k

Subs--2-SA8v2's

Enclosure--Need one made!!

Highs Amp--Sundown SAX-100.4

Front Highs--Rockford Fosgate T2652-S

Rear--Sundown Neo Pro 6.5

XS Power D2400--XS D3400

No Big Three yet!

http://www.youtube.c...ser/raolito1980

well it sounds like a blown coil but maybe its just a bad solder joint on the terminals.

That's what I thought at first, last night. I checked all the leads, no discoloration, solder was fine, terminals were tight, and I could even smell burning wires. I just don't understand how it could go from EVERY SIGN of a bad coil, to perfectly fine.

Your voltmeter was not on the right setting. Maybe the wires on the voltmeter are faulty? I say this cause my bro had some wires that were connected by magnet and the magnet was causing some rise and fall of the ohm reading. Glad they are ok man.

It was on the right setting, I checked it while it was still wired in the box, and then took it out and checked it. AND it wouldn't play AT ALL last night.

you were drunk and dreamed about it lol, maybe the coil was still warm and not read right. did u push it in a bit and then test it?

I don't drink so that rules that out. Why would the coil being warm effect the amount of resistance in the coil?

Edited by vengfuldev

Dc Audio

Team Fur

no, when a coil dies its very common for the numbers to jump around like that.

That's what I thought at first, last night. I checked all the leads, no discoloration, solder was fine, terminals were tight, and I could even smell burning wires. I just don't understand how it could go from EVERY SIGN of a bad coil, to perfectly fine.

It was on the right setting, I checked it while it was still wired in the box, and then took it out and checked it. AND it wouldn't play AT ALL last night.

I don't drink so that rules that out. Why would the coil being warm effect the amount of resistance in the coil?

the only thing heat would effect is size. things expand when heated so it COULD be possible that once heated the coil shorts out. just a theory. i would expect that sub to be on its way out though. will probably die again and not come back.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

no, when a coil dies its very common for the numbers to jump around like that.

the only thing heat would effect is size. things expand when heated so it COULD be possible that once heated the coil shorts out. just a theory. i would expect that sub to be on its way out though. will probably die again and not come back.

I'll find out for sure next week I guess, I've just never heard of this happening, but not even 2 minutes after it shut off I pulled over to check it out and the first thing I did was check the temp on the cone and it wasn't hot at all, I could tell it wasn't ambient temperature, but it wasn't hot.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

Ive seen poorly soldered leads under the dust cap that cause that same thing

usually aluminum voice coils are a lot harder to do a clean solder than copper

so if you were clipping the sub to all hell, yeah you would read a higher impedance due to coil heating

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Ive seen poorly soldered leads under the dust cap that cause that same thing

usually aluminum voice coils are a lot harder to do a clean solder than copper

so if you were clipping the sub to all hell, yeah you would read a higher impedance due to coil heating

But 19 ohms? I've seen maybe .4 above nom. impedance. I'd rip the dustcap off to check, but it's working fine again, so until then.

Dc Audio

Team Fur