Second Skin Audio

Sealed v. Ported for Type-R

Anyone have a valid opinion on which would be better for a Type-R (DVC 4 ohm - 500 watts RMS)? It's for a '99 Grand Am. Box is in my trunk, room won't be an issue. Let me know what you think would be best and why. I haven't been swayed on SQL or SPL yet, so I could go with either and I'll be happy (as long as the bass still hits hard). Thanks!

divide thread ?

I believe its end of thread

and to the original Thread question..... Ported

My Proof

Edited by CheezyMane13

take baby steps, u cant do it all at once unless u have a roll of 100's big enough to choke a donkey

1998 Chevy Venture "Swagger Wagon"

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 Headunit

3 15" Alpine Type R's in seperate T-Lines

1 RF T1500-1bd for 2 of the 15s

1 RF P1000-1bd for the single 15

3 sets of Hifonics Zeus ZXi6.5C Components( 1 more set to come for Front stage)

1 Hifonics HFi100.4 4-channel amp

Stock alt for now (DC HO SPL 400A when funds come in,currently working on buying this)

Stock battery and one Optima Redtop for now (looking at XS batteries)

3 15" Alpine Type R's (aka Swagger Wagon Build 1.0)

Swagger Wagon Build 2.0

Youtube Videos

I don't see what that's proving really..

I agree. Sorry dude...but you've got two different amps powering them. You have enough power with your two 1500s...just strap the two and get rid of the punch amp. Those typer's can move wayyyy more than that.

<u>99 Jimmy SLT 4WD</u>

Systemless.

<u>99 Grand Prix GTP</u>

DC XL 12 on 1.5k tuned lowwwwww.

I don't see what that's proving really..

Some of my never videos prove it better, I have had these bubs in different types of boxes, and this box is the best, but it also depends on the car aswell

take baby steps, u cant do it all at once unless u have a roll of 100's big enough to choke a donkey

Stock alt for now (DC HO SPL 400A when funds come in,currently working on buying this)

Swagger Wagon Build 2.0

Youtube Videos

I agree. Sorry dude...but you've got two different amps powering them. You have enough power with your two 1500s...just strap the two and get rid of the punch amp. Those typer's can move wayyyy more than that.

This video was taken a few weeks ago, right after i got the box put in. I actually took a video today, but i left my camera in my car, and don't feel like getting it. I am in bed using my phone, when i should be asleep. But they move way more then what you see in the video above. These subs get pretty damn low too, thats a good reason for a ported box, i made this box to the maximum recommended ported size, and tuned it to 30Hz. It drops low but still slams hard

Swagger Wagon Build 2.0

Youtube Videos

I put my kicker into a box that was the specs required for the sub, and it didn't sound nearly as loud as the sealed box I've got it in. Same with the 2 orions in my car as well. I love my sealed boxes. hopefully I can put up a video soon, just gotta figure out what to record with.. lol

2004 Volkswagen GLI

1 10" Skar VVX

^^^ Looking for an amp to run it, Pm me if you have one ^^^

Ok, Here we go.........

A correctly tuned ported cabinet will almost always be louder, although they tend to be more difficult to build, and are typically larger than sealed cabinets..... ( Better for SPL type applications..)

However, I have heard some badass sealed cabinets, that SLAM.. And are typically more suited for SQ, and even SQL applications... I have a 15" Audiopipe in a small sealed box stuffed in the garage, just to have music in the garage when I'm working, and its very musical, but doesnt hit very hard... I have the twin to that 15 in the wifes trunk in a 3.25CuFt vent tuned to 33Hz, and it pounds ( well as hard as a POS audiopipe sub can pound).......

I cannot tell you which is better, it kinda depends on what you're looking for. Personally I like ported , and I tune a little higher for daily use, then remove that one and use a larger one for SPL... ( Borrowed the idea from SMD, saw it in one of his builds, and decided to try it out).......

Hope that helps some.....