Sonic Electronix

hey guys hows it goin, well i got a question, i got a 600 watt sub and im going to buy a amp not an expensive one just a cheapy atm low on funds.. :[, well anyways my sub is 600 watt it says on it.. well if i get a 500 watt amp i will be underpowering the sub right? and can this mess up the sub if i underpower it or will it only mess up if i over power it? im really sorry for all my nooby posts and stuff im only 15 and somewhat new to car audio.

underpowering a sub will not hurt it, like Team DC Derrick for example, he ran a stetsom 7k on 3 dc lvl 5's they were only seeing about 700? not sure, but he wasent anywhere near what he could put to them

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

What sub do you have and what amp are you getting?

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

Set your gains correctly and you can underpower it all day long with no harm done. Question is now answered!

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

You will be perfectly fine under powering a subwoofer or any other sort of speaker..

Any time you turn the volume down on the radio every speaker becomes under powered (even if it has the correct size amp its rated for).

The only way you can and will blow the woofer by underpowering it is by not properly setting the gain, bassboost, subsonic filter, low pass filter and any other thing on the amp.

Thus meaning turning the gain all the way up (to make it sound louder) will hurt the woofer/speaker and cause clipping in return causes an added build up of heat around the voice coil, limited xmax and improper cooling, which will result in a blown woofer.

underpowering a sub will not hurt it, like Team DC Derrick for example, he ran a stetsom 7k on 3 dc lvl 5's they were only seeing about 700? not sure, but he wasent anywhere near what he could put to them

FYI: Derrick did have sub failure not to long ago, and was waiting on recones last week when I talked to him.

However when I got to hear his ride at slamology, his stetsom 7k should of been renamed a clipsom, because that light was on 24/7 LOL but it still pounded like a champ!! :)

FYI: Derrick did have sub failure not to long ago, and was waiting on recones last week when I talked to him.

However when I got to hear his ride at slamology, his stetsom 7k should of been renamed a clipsom, because that light was on 24/7 LOL but it still pounded like a champ!! :)

hes been trying to blow the woofers, he finnialy succeded, now hes rocking 2 woofers, which = more power to each woofer :), but they got the clipping worked out i think

ninja thread jack

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog